summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, September 12, 2024

life is like candyland...

 ...you're young and happy and naive, skipping down the colorful squares, next thing you know - it's as if you drew the Gummy Forest card, and where did all those squares go?  You sped right over them!  Soon you'll be at King Kandy's castle, and hardly remember the details of Princess Lollipop or Queen Frostine.

But there is today, and that in of itself is a gift, through and through.  This fine day, it's been quiet here.  I've washed some dishes, made coffee, watered the plants, put my bedding in the wash, fed the dogs, let them in and out, puttered around, and here I sit in my comfy chair, while the sun shines and the leaves secretly plot their own beautiful demise.

Yesterday I went to the pool, then out to brekky with my pool friends.  We didn't get all the world's problems solved, but we had a nice time.  I stopped at the little store in town, afterward, to get turkey and bread and some apple cider, as I knew I was having grandkids over.

It was Lasagna Day, I put together some sauce with browned ground beef and mild Italian sausage, then layered it all with ricotta and cheese, with Rhys helping by eating little heaps of shredded mozzarella.  Two pans of lasagna, one for our dinner, and one to bring over to Karen and Hobie today, as she had her hip replaced on Monday.  Camille made some brownies with broiled marshmallow topping, so we'll bring some of those, with a loaf of fresh Italian bread.  Hmm, if I get up and move it, I can make some in the Dutch oven.  

Grace and her three joined us too, so there were six kids here.  The dinner was nice, I made some garlic bread too.  I didn't take any pictures, but there was plenty of cuteness, believe me!

Tuesday was my sister's birthday, so Linda, me, Cheryl (my sister!), our friend Cathy and our sister-in-law Mary, went out to lunch.  (two of Cheryl's daughters and five of her grandchildren were there too!).  Time just flies when spent with such dear good friends.  Cheryl is the most special lady in the world.  We only have to look at each other,  and don't even get us started on the laughing in a serious situation.  Weddings, funerals, oh dear.   She is hilarious, but also very kind and thoughtful and extremely thankful to God for all things, a huge example of faithfulness in her trials...cancer is not good or fun, but she battles fiercely to be at rest in the knowledge that God weighs and measures our trials and truly knows what's best for us.   

We have had so many adventures together, I really treasure her.  

Then there's this young lady who misses Paul almost more than I do...she knows when he gets his suitcase out, she diligently keeps watch for him to get home.

And, a random oldie here, Camille, Mariel, Miss Charlotte Claire...

Yes, life whizzes by...we were the young and dumb ones, now we're the old and dumb ones...I can't remember when we were just the right age, and very smart, ha.  Can I just say that being a grandparent is sometimes more difficult than when I was just a plain old parent? 

Sometimes you do say things, of course, but to be respectful of parenting and not be a know-it-all... Of course it is my house, but also I don't want to be too picky, so they're all comfortable here, because I WANT them to come here, I truly do, love them and the kids with all of my heart, they are what life is all about.  So we learn patience and forbearance and goodness, and learn when to say something and when not to, and give those kids lots of hugs and praise, and tell them how much they are loved.  

Maybe I was too strict with my kids when they were growing up.  Maybe, because there were so many of them, I had to be, so it wasn't chaos.  I know I didn't do everything right, and that parenting takes SO much patience.  Grand-parenting does too!  :)

Ah well...it's good to be awake and in need of help, so we can hear that still small voice which God so lovingly sends.  Life is good.  Have a really good day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you find that parenting the last of many is a little more like grandparenting? I'm not a grandma yet, but my oldest children think we are easier on the youngest than we were with them. It's just different now, I can't exactly explain why...
I love hearing about your relationship with your sister ❤️
Valerie

Mari said...

Glad you had a good time with your friends and your sisters too. I also have a sister named Cheryl - but goes by Cheri. She and I have that same sort of relationship, and I know all about laughing in the middle of a serious situation. Aaagh!