summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, September 5, 2011

happy labor day....

Labor Day is to commemorate all the difficult labor and delivery that women throughout history have sufferend through. Isn't it? Well, it should be.

Today was rainy and drab, cozy and comfy. I counted the slices of bread we had left in the loaves, and there just were not enough for tomorrow's school lunches. So...off we went, shopping. I drove the college kids' "new" car, the Nissan. It is so different from driving the big van, or even the minivan. Kathryn - 13, Evelyn - 12, Suzanne - 10, and Sonja - 9 went with me. Oh my goodness, are they crazy. I thought the volume was bad in the minivan, in the car, rrr. Miss Ev got to ride shotgun on the way home, she got into a little fuss with Miss Sonja, who was in the back middle, Sonja bopped her on the head with her Gatorade bottle, some yelling and smacking ensued...they were sort of fooling around, like they had been all day, but No Way when I am driving, especially down a curvy highway in the rain. I had to pull over. They started giggling. I am hopeless at staying serious, especially when FOUR girls are giggling. blah. too much fun.

And don't even ask about Miss Suze and the bike horn she kept blowing in Target. Do they even realize a little bit how much people stare when they are so rambunctious?

Kathryn got a ring stuck on her finger in the jewelry department.

They tried on frilly dresses in Sears.

They bugged the life out of me while I looked at some clearance nightgowns in Sears. I found a few really nice ones for six bucks each...(my nightgowns are getting rather ratty and old and baggy, so...)Since we weren't all alone in Sears, it was rather embarrassing when the girls starting remarking on which ones Daddy would like on me best..and holding up some skimpy ones. I was just looking at the cotton comfy ones, but for some reason they thought the whole thing was funny. I saw one lady smirking, she finally just looked at me and started laughing, and said, "My four were all boys."

I went into my favorite store in the mall and found a few jean skirts for ten bucks each. That was fun. I mostly hate the mall, so we hurried through. Target is more my speed. I got things we needed in there, like a stapler for the college kids, some computer paper, more filler paper, and some more twenty cent notebooks. In my opinion, we can never have too many twenty cent notebooks.

All the kids are fed and showered and tucked into bed. The big boys love the new kitten..it is so sweet to see them with him.

We made lunches, one for Camille too. I am taking her to Story Hour at the library after the kids get on the bus. She is so excited about that, she already has her clothes picked out. She thinks she is going to school too, soon. I am thinking in two years.

I have to get up at 6:30 to fit my walk before the kids leave for school. blah.

I am not excited about this whole thing.

But, as my older kids assure me, the ones who have made it through school (seven now), "they will be fine."

Summer went by too fast. We haven't even made our, "What We Want To Do This Summer List" yet. blah. I think because this last month has been physically a blur for me, I wasn't able to do the swimming and wasn't up for the adventures, it seems like a rip-off summer. Oh well. I will pick the kids up from school as much as I can to spare them the bus ride, and to spend more time with them, and I will be here when they get home to listen about their days...with cookies and milk, of course...

1 comment:

ccc said...

Yes, summer ended too fast and yes, you can never have too many 20 cent notebooks