summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, September 4, 2011

sunday, a day of rest...




I walked this morning with Rosie, did some dishes, some cleaning up. I made the coffee, and put on some bacon, then discovered there were only two eggs left. Oh, I am so organized I cannot stand it. So, since I knew Paul would enjoy the eggs, I had a piece of toast with almost a whole tomato sliced on it, and bacon. And coffee. The kids had cereal and wheat toast with butter and sugar.

They are busy today, playing with the kitten, arguing over who had the kitten the longest, and whining that they haven't had enough time holding the kitten. I gave Sonja the job of taking lots of pictures of Mr. Swanson. I told her she should because he is going to grow up so fast. Jonathan heard me and said, "What!!?? He's going to grow fast? No fair!"

The guy down the road is like a kid in a sandbox, digging up trees and digging trenches and ditches. He is hoping the planning board will approve his plan to build the mud bog. I feel a bit sorry for him, when I talk to him, he is like a kid with these big dreams, and he takes it so personally that the neighbors don't like his idea. He can't see that it would be horrible for us to have this thing right next to us. He can't see how scary it would be for us to have people parking right next to our yard, drinking and swearing and having a good old time. He doesn't understand that we have all these daughters to raise and protect, and just the thought of the kind of guys who like to watch these kind of races being right there....well, that is rather rude of me, there may be some perfect gentlemen watching Mud Bog races. But I am not betting on it.

We took the kids up to the lake last night for ice cream, and to throw stones into the water from the stony beach. Going in the minivan with only five kids seemed like we were playing Small Family. The kids were so excited in the van, they were playing "Jinx" and other equally irritating games, they were so loud we couldn't even talk. Paul and I were trying to remember if our first five were like that. We think they might have been.

School is starting the day after tomorrow. Today is a warm cloudy day, rain is expected. Showers and thunderstorms. We have no plans. The older kids won't be home until later this evening. Suze is playing Wii Fit, and the other kids are playing with Mr. Swanson.

I am still so bummed out that I lost the baby. Keeping busy and distracted and doing things for others helps, but I feel like I need some time out. Paul and I are trying to arrange a weekend away soon, which sounds heavenly, but I just need to go in my room and cry some more...I am telling myself that after that I will feel better, there won't be such an ache, but I think it will take more than just a good cry to get over this ache.

I am getting a turn with the kitten now, he is cuddled under my chin. Very nice.



4 comments:

Mike and Katie said...

Our first three are like that. My friend who has nine so far says the big van disipates the sound much better. Being in the small minivan makes the loud kids seem MUCH louder.

Deb said...

There is nothing like a new kitten to help soothe the pain. Nothing will take it away, but I have fond memories of my parents getting me a kitten when I was a child.

Our Girl Scout troop was going on a campout. I was terribly afraid of matches and fire, and I had never been able to light a match. My dad sat patiently with me, trying to teach me. When I finally managed to do it, I dropped it and burst into tears, just certain I would burn the house down. I'll never forget my dad looking at me and saying, "Why don't we go see if Patty has any kittens to give away?" He felt so bad for me and wanted to make the whole match thing better.

I still don't like matches and fires make me nervous, but I've never gotten over my love of cats!

Martha said...

It doesn't matter how big the van is when you fill it to capacity. :)

Throwing rocks in the lake used to be one of my favorite things to take the kids to do when James worked late. We are blessed with a rocky lake beach right here in town and it was a godsend when my older ones were little. Was that really over twenty years ago?

Love the kitty. He looks good on you.

Carolyn said...

You're definitely looking thinner; way to go Della!