summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, January 2, 2012

Benjamin is going back to Washington....

wah. It was the saddest goodbye yet. And I was too tired to stay up 'til they left for the airport, since I have been staying up until the wee hours, then getting up with the little kids in the mornings...it was close to 2 am when I finally got up and walked over to the couch where Ben and Ashley were lounging...I hugged him for a long time...he is going to go through so much before I see him again. I do not want him to go to war, to see war and death and suffering. I cannot even think about worse things but they do cross my mind. So I hugged him fiercely, this son of mine who has caused me more sleepless nights than all the rest of the kids put together. This son who has finally straightened out and is so kind and mature. It was too easy to have him around for the holidays, too easy and good and fun and just plain pleasant.

We had a snack-y dinner last night, pepperoni and cheese and sliced turkey, and carrots, cucumbers, mini-peppers and dip, crossionts and crackers. I had some leftover taco meat in a bowl of green beans. Then a few hours later I put ten pounds of wings in the oven. One bowl of salt and pepper wings, one of Buffalo hot wings, then some plain for the little kids. They were gone in record time.

Our last evening with Ben and Ashley home was sad. Not just because they were leaving in a few hours, but because of a horrible thing that happened to our neighbors down the road. Their son....he was a Marine. He was home on leave. I know some details because Mali is close friends with his girlfriend, but since it is such a sensitive subject, I will not get into it...he took his own life yesterday. He rode the bus with our kids, they knew him from school, his sisters are their friends. His mom works at school. Aaron just saw him in Walmart last week... His poor mom. His poor sisters. And his girlfriend. It is just so sad, and in my opinion, when someone dies that way it is doubly hard for the family. The questions and the guilt and the anger....

Emily, Abigail, Mirielle, and Mali are leaving for Jamaica in the middle of the night tonight. Lucky girls! No, they are not rich. Well, Emily is a nurse, so she makes enough. And Abigail...she can swing it. The other two are using student loans. But it will be good for them. Imagine having sisters like that who are such good friends and can go on vacation together. I am just dying, I want to go with them so badly!

It is cold here in central New York state. Windy and cold. And getting windier and colder. Tomorrow the high will be in the teens. brr. And guess who will be getting out of her warm bed at 3am to take them to the airport..?

Today, I shall have no chocolate. It has been my downfall. I can resist a cookie, pass up a croissant, but Swiss chocolate or M&M's...nope. But I will. And today I will exercise again. Me, and a few million other Americans. ha.

Now I have to go out to the dreaded kitchen and clean up the rest of the mess from last night...blah.

1 comment:

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

it has been a while since I read here. I was without a laptop and it is hard to read on my ipad. I just got my laptop back, and your blog is the first place I came.

I am sorry that your son has to deploy. My husband is still not home :-( It is hard on everyone. Where is Ashley going to live while he is gone?

If there is any info that you would like me to pass along, we are old pro's at this now. By the way, you look amazing! One hot Momma.