summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, January 12, 2012

what? no medal? no congrats?

All these months I thought when I went into the doctor...he would be so happy about the weight I lost! ha., he didn't even notice. I think he was so relieved to have a patient with a clear cut diagnosis, he ordered some bloodwork, a sonogram of the right upper abdominal quadrant, and sent me on my way. I didn't even get a chance to tell him that my ears have been clogged and my cold is still hanging around after three weeks. hmpf. I need to get more assertive. After I was ushered out the door and waiting to get blood drawn, I was tempted to walk back in and say, "I was not finished here!" But I behaved myself.

Getting to the doctor yesterday was quite an adventure. Not like the old days when I had four preschoolers and a nursing baby in the waiting room with perhaps my sister and a few of her kids, or an older kid skipping school, or my mom...maybe Paul...once years ago when I had strep throat I brought my newborn right into the exam room with me and held her while the dr checked me out. He was not thrilled, I did not think it was a big deal. I did not like him anyway, he thought I was foolish to have so many kids and didn't hesitate to tell me so. He could not understand for the life of him why I would be interested in getting in shape yet be open for more babies. I switched doctors.

Anyway, Camille wanted to go with me yesterday. She planted herself outside the bathroom door while I showered, she did not stop pleading the whole time. She was saying things like, "Please don't leave me with Mirielle, please don't. How would you like it if YOU were the little girl and I was the Mama, and I was leaving YOU home. If you bring me I will be very good. I can get ready fast. Please don't leave me. I love you and hate when you leave." This went on and on. She was pretty hysterical by the time I unlocked the door and came out. I almost caved, almost asked Mirielle to quick get her ready.

Anyway, I got into the big van, and: hardly any gas! I was running late, as per usual, so I couldn't stop. I drove to the small city, tried to find a spot on the street to avoid the parking garage...this is a whole book in itself, trying to park a 15 passenger van in a parking garage. Mine is a Chevy Express, which has a longer wheelbase than a normal 15 passenger, which I thought was wonderful before I owned one and actually tried to park it. Anyway, I found a spot, and had to back out and pull in like five times with four cars lined up behind me, wondering if I was vacating the spot...with the low-gas warning light beeping and flashing...

I couldn't help but wonder during my brief dr. visit whether I would have enough gas to get to the gas station, but I did. (gas prices are creeping back up, it was $40 for only half a tank!)

I took the opportunity to sneak to the grocery store all by my lonesome. Just milk and stuff for salad and a bag of Kibbles for Rosie. I find myself so open for the possibility of a treat when I go into Wegmans. I smell the donuts and the muffins, which I do not eat anymore so I don't even look, I saw a lady with a package of cookies and thought, "she has cookies, and she is thin, no fair!" Anyway, I bought a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken for a treat. Camille and I had it for lunch at home, with some veggie sticks and grapefruit.

Mirielle said that Camille stopped fussing as soon as I left and was fine the whole time I was gone.

Sonja, Jonathan, and I cleaned their room thoroughly. Sorted and sorted and tossed and put away a bag of stuff, "for the poor kids". I let Jon decide what to keep, he did a great job of letting go of things. I kept reassuring him that it would be nice when he had just the things he really liked. See, he inherited the toys from his brothers, so he had all these transformers and Legos and trucks..he kept some of them, and all the Legos, but now there are no stray Lego blocks mixed in with other things. It is all neat and organized, and yes, I do believe this time it will stay this way. ha, how many times have I believed that one?

It is January, and it is raining out! Not to worry though, the snow is coming! Actually, it looks like rain mixed with snow. It will be getting colder tomorrow, snow Saturday with cold and wind, and below zero on Sunday.

I think I need to get on the dreadmill today for a bit since my walks have been reduced to cheat-y little ten minute outings. I have been doing my 12 minute Pace workouts, but ha, I cannot do all the things. Mirielle did it with me yesterday and we collapsed on the floor laughing when we were supposed to do these impossible things where one gets into the push-up position and alternates extending one arm while supporting oneself with the other arm. ha. I consider it an accomplishment just to get myself into the push-up position. We got our acts together and finished the workout. She said if it was her she would do that like five times. That is why I am fat and she is not, I was beat. Just the fact that I actually went home and exercised was a big accomplishment for me, a victory over my sluggish mentality, which suggested all the way home that it was a good day for a nap.

My nap. I did try one later, it was a huge unfunny joke. First Paul texted me. Then I fell totally asleep, and one minute later he texted again. Answered him, cuddled Camille who was touching my face and squirming, fell asleep again. He called me...see, Joseph and Mirielle were getting rid of one of the cars that no longer drives very well, bringing it to Pick and Pull...blah, details, but suffice to say there is no rest for the wicked. Then Camille fell asleep, the first trip bus came, doors were slamming, kids laughing, I just got up and had coffee and chocolate. Yes, chocolate is the only consolation for a Crappy Nap, pardon my French.

And here I am...getting tired of trying to eat right and exercise, just want to crawl back into bed and feel sorry for myself. But I won't, not today anyway. Camille is all warm in her froggy jammas, and the college kids are snoozing still.

I have to decide what job I want to tackle today (clean out a closet? Sort some clothes? blah)

Miss Froggy Jams is asking for more Trix....

3 comments:

ccc said...

I can't stop laughing about parking the van in the parking garage while the no gas light keeps going on and off and everyone thinks you are leaving your space---I can laugh since it is a familiar scenario. Our van is not the extra long one like yours, so I can only imagine how much harder it is to park that monstrosity lol

Tereza said...

Well don't mind that doctor!! You have done VERY well!!!

Debbie said...

I got a good laugh also at the parking the van and no gas....my kids get so used to the sound of the ding ding and the light comes on and parking....I cant park to save my life.....