summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, January 27, 2012

just the usual morning routine...

"Usual" for me is not the same "usual" it was a few years back, when I had baby after baby and was always sleep-deprived and struggled to keep track of things like spelling tests and school snacks and who had gym when and had to wear their sneakers on what day. Not too much has changed though.

Not as much as one would think.

I have more time, more sleep, so why the heck couldn't I find Jon's spelling words this morning? (and where are all the clean towels already?)

This morning...ugh. I have use of the minivan because Paul is away, all the way across the country. Joseph was going to drive it to work, then Mali called me, she has this eye infection...so I have to go to the Big city to pick her up from college, then take her to the Small city for a dr. appointment. I don't like driving the Big van to the Big city, so Joe got to take it to work. Not without stern admonitions from Mom to BE CAREFUL. That big van doesn't stop on a dime, and if he doesn't slow down enough before a turn, he will flip it. To make my worries worse, he doesn't have a cell phone, which wouldn't have been an issue a few years back, but these days...if one's child goes off driving somewhere without one, uh-oh!!! And, he is doing construction on a house all by himself. I told him if he got hurt to run to a neighbor's house...oh, the things I have to worry about.

Anyway, this morning. Jonathan got this cool new scooter yesterday at Target after we dropped Paul off at the airport. It was 70% off, and it is so cool. It is a Razor Powerwing, one doesn't have to push with the feet, just sort of wiggle and it goes! It is absolutely amazing to have in the house, it is silent, although the girls begging for turns is not silent. He really likes it and is glad he spent his Christmas money on it. Anyway, he was apparently taking it for a little spin around the livingroom this morning before school, with chocolate milk in his hand, and uh-oh, all over. I mean that milk FLEW. It covered my table next to my chair, dripped into the drawer we keep hair stuff in, down onto the power cord, splattered my computer, which thankfully didn't die....right when it happened, my niece texted and asked me to come help her with the baby twins because she had a rough night, and I had offered to come Any Time...well, blah, I couldn't come today because of Mali...anyway, I reminded her that Emily will be helping her today...and started cleaning up the milk. It was neat because I did not get upset about it, I stopped and thought before I yelled, and it had a good effect. Mr. Jon got a cloth to help clean it up, and apologized, and I told him it was okay it was an accident. He said, "no, I shouldn't have been drinking chocolate milk on the scooter." wow, bingo, that's right, Jon!

So off to school they went, leaving Miss Char the kindergartner here...she has had a long week, needs a day with Camille, plus she is a bit stuffy again.

We went to the library yesterday after Target. I had promised Evelyn, the Book Queen. She got a whole stack, and the little girls and Jon got quite a few too, which means I have More Things To Keep Track Of. I hate having to pay overdue fines, yesterday's damage was $4.70. I don't know why that makes me turn around and look to see who noticed what a slacker I am, there at the check-out desk. At least there were no lost books to worry about this time.

I got a book to read, just a silly snack-y romantic comedy type of book, the kind I love/hate. This one is actually quite entertaining, and it was nice to snuggle under my electric blanket last night and have the whole bed to myself and leave the light on as long as I wanted to, and read 'til I fell asleep. I read half the book, and could have finished it but I kept reminding myself that I have to drive to the Big city today, and don't want to be too tired.

Donuts. Yes, we stopped at the bakery. I had a bag of healthy snacks packed, and we so conveniently forgot to bring them with us. I had picked up a few kids from school, they were hungry. So, to the bakery we went. Donuts, fresh baked bread, pizza dough. yum. That whole place is a heavenly experience...smells so good...oh, the chocolate pies and danishes and cannoli, frosted cupcakes and half-moons...

I had half a lemon headlight. I stopped eating it at half. My mouth enjoyed it but my brain wouldn't stop yammering about how I shouldn't be eating it. So I put the rest back in the box. Then I started thinking about a peanut donut. How good it would taste. I had just a piece of one. Then a little taste of a cinnamon one. There were a dozen donuts, and I totally encouraged the kids to EAT THEM UP when we got home, and they did. phew. Why do I do this to myself? But that lemon headlight, the white frosting was so good, not too sweet, just right....

Well, my time to sit around and relax is done for now, I have two little girls to get fed and dressed and into the minivan for our drive to pick up Mali....

No comments: