summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, March 2, 2014

come talk me in....!

Shh, don't tell Camille that it's, "tuck", not, "talk". She likes to be talked in. I don't like to correct their little mis-speaks,oh the cuteness and the littleness. The days go by, and up they grow. No more foot-y pajamas, or sippy cups. No more stepstool in the bathroom, they can reach now. Even Camille can read by herself, although she still likes to be read to. My babies are not babies anymore.

Okay, sometimes you can go to the thrift store and come out with maybe a couple of books and dusty fingers, but other days...oh joy! Yesterday was one of those bonus days. Miss Camille found a beautiful jewelry box with little glass doors and spinn-y things for all the necklaces she hopes to collect. She found a little polka dotted clip board for playing school and restaurant. She got some Barbie books, and a Juney B. Jones book. (Miss Char was out and about with Mirielle, and was pretty thrilled at the new treasures too, obviously they will share)

Anyway, I found: a new couch! A leather couch! I am not a big fan of the idea of buying used furniture, because of possible critters and just the not knowing....but. I saw this couch, and it looked so clean! Not a tear in it, not too saggy, just fine. Now, we didn't have room in our vehicle for a couch, and this place is way over in another county, but I decided to just go out on a limb and buy the couch. I had just been to the grocery store and had a huge long receipt with several coupons for $7 off any $25 or more purchase, so I redeemed one on my first order, which included a Little Tikes table and two chairs, our old chairs got cracked and broken and the girls used bins to sit on when they played school and office....anyway. I bought the couch for $41 including tax, using another coupon.

I had to go home and get the truck and and go all the way back and pick it up...it was dinner time when I got it home. Paul and Mirielle and Evelyn had made taco salad, and were just thrilled to have to go out into the cold evening to help carry in a couch. It is sitting in limbo now, waiting for me to decide how to fit it in. I would like to mount it on the wall over the other couch, to make a double decker, not really. The room isn't actually big enough, but we will fit it in, we need the places to sit.

Anyway. It is a pretty morning, snow is falling and it is quiet. The girls are really busy playing with their new treasures, and I have had one cup of coffee. Paul put a piece of beef in the crockpot, and is heading to town for some potatoes to go in with it.

We got a few letters from Sam,and each and every one of us who read them started to cry. I can't help feeling like we've thrown him to the wolves, and if you personally know Sam, you would understand. It does help me to know that he wouldn't have had it any other way. If I had talked to the recruiters and told them that Sam was "special", Sam would have never forgiven me. He is doing what he always wanted to do, and he will be fine. That is what I am telling myself. But I am also finding myself in tears when I least expect it.

Since we are heading to church this fine Sunday, I have much to do, so off I go, out of the comfy chair....

5 comments:

~JoAnn~ said...

No need to post just a note for you...When my son was in boot camp and I got letters and I could just tell that he was getting a little down I sent him a letter with the chorus

~JoAnn~ said...

Sorry hit wrong button...anyway sent the words of the chorus of the song through the fire by the Crabb family and it seemed to help. The words are so very comforting for both me and my son. Anyway I will keep you in my prayers and of course your son blessings joann

Martha said...

Praying for your sweet boy. (I'm sure he'd love to be called "sweet" by some old woman who doesn't even know him... :0) )
I thought about a double-decker couch too. Actually thought myself pretty ingenious to think it up myself, and then found out they actually make them, but they wouldn't go too well in front of my row of windows.

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with the littlies being left to be little and not correcting them, they are way too cute! My littlest's favourites are pungkin, lawnmama (lawnmower) and lellow (yellow), awwwww.

Congratulations on your bargain purchase!
Feel for you for Sam..

16 blessings'mom said...

When Camille was smaller she said once, "I used to say PISGETTI, but now I say SCABETTI!" She was so proud of herself, I couldn't bring myself to tell her it is actually SPAGHETTI.

Martha, I did get the double-decker shelf idea from you.:)