summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

letters from sammy!

Or should I say Pvt. Samuel J. W. ? He is a treasure, my son Sam. He wrote, "I know this is where I should be because I'm closer to God and the Holy spirit than I've ever been. Why? Not because I pray when I'm afraid, but because now I see what being away from God's people is like, the strength that the friends give, I didn't realize it. Now I'm far from God's people, but I'm closer to God than ever, He cares for me. I'm openly Christian and in the spirit, I don't hide or avoid it. I'm open and firm about the church and my calling, I've never done that outside of home, not really. So yes, I think the Army is God's way of showing me the world, and testing my faith, moving me from on the fence to the right side..."

I don't think he'll mind me sharing that since he himself said he is open about it. I think he will be a strength and an inspiration to the other guys there. He said in one letter that he is, "socially cool", and the guys tell him he should be a comedian. I was hoping that would happen, that he would simply be himself.

He certainly will have his share of struggles in Basic, but I am much more at rest about him now that I have read these four letters he sent, all shoved into one envelope. He has the right attitude, and we know that anyone who seeks Him will not be put to shame.

Today, the same old same old around here. Sonja and I went out and about yesterday, for our throat cultures. We will find out today if we have strep. If not, I wonder if we have had the flu.


We stopped for a coffee for me, and a large strawberry coolatta for her, with whipped cream. Oh yummers I wish I could drink something like that. We also went to Aldi for cantaloupes and apples and lemons and green beans and coffee creamer, and of course, chocolate. We went to the crappy depressing mall and bought one shirt for Sonja for six bucks,and it was our lucky day, a free little totebag with each purchase. Sears had nothing, expensive old-people clothes, boring and dusty. J.C. Penney was even worse, it was too quiet in there, the clearance racks cluttered with ugly clothes, not nearly cheap enough even if they were remotely attractive. Sonja was looking for a few of those camisole tops to wear under stuff, they $9 each. Nah, too much.

But it was nice to be with Sonja, and since it has been so cold outside, I didn't mind walking from one end of the mall to the other, even if I did smell yummy things that made me hungry.

Ah well, flu or strep or whatever, today I am going to work out. I need to Just Do It, to borrow a famous phrase. I was 14 pounds heavier yesterday at the dr. than when I went in last March, ugh. That scale needs to move down, not up. My blood pressure was 110/62 though, can't complain about that! My temperature was only 96.2, I do run low. I am going to try much harder to get my movement in each day, and continue to eat healthy but nothing in the evenings again, and see if I can get the scale going in the right direction, then if it doesn't, I will look into the thyroid thing more.

Anyway. This is the day which the Lord has made. There are things that I don't understand in this life, here are a few of them:

Our friend who had cancer of the esophagus...he is seven years out, which is a total miracle. Well, he has more cancer. In his lung. He has total faith that God sends everything for his very best, and he has beaten the odds already. He has a wife and eight children. He said one time that he would never wish for cancer, but he is thankful that he has gone through what he has, because he has learned so much about himself through this journey. He seeks and finds those treasures amidst his trials, he is an excellent friend and an excellent example of not feeling sorry for oneself, but totally believing God no matter what.... God does know best but this whole thing hurts my heart.

Then, I heard that yesterday a young mom who was 30 weeks pregnant with her second child was killed in a car accident out near where Benjamin lives. I didn't know her personally, but she was in our church, and has family and friends who know my family and friends, and it is just so so so sad. 24 years old. I am praying today for her family.

So use your time wisely! Forgive, forget, be good, bless!

No comments: