summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

too late, too early....


We got more snow yesterday afternoon...I went outside with Evelyn because we were restless.


Winter twilight...the stillness when the snow is falling...it was lovely.


The back yard...

Anyhoo...our late nights...it's vacation week, so last night Kathryn, Evelyn, Suzanne, Sonja, and I watched, "The Shining", which is still just as scary as it was so many years ago. It was so scary that they kept yelling, "Mommy!", but they like scary movies. They stayed up and watched a second movie afterward, a comedy, to neutralize the scariness. It was midnight and they were going strong, so I said my goodnights.

I wake up when Paul gets up for work, and little A. comes over to play. I like to make sure the driveway is clear, which I did this morning by asking Joseph to shovel it, ha. I did go out and chop up some ice on the deck steps. I swept some floors and tidied up a bit, and made some coffee.

Winter...it's pretty...

This was yesterday morning...

So we agree, winter is pretty. But. The snow! It's heavy and persistent and slippery and hard to drive in. The kids are getting restless, want to go somewhere/do something, but it's supposed to snow off and on all day today.

Suzanne requested popcorn last night...and I do make yummy popcorn...stovetop with coconut oil, and lots of butter and salt. I made two batches, and a nice bowl specifically for me...then I decided that just because I made it, didn't mean I HAD to eat it. Oh, I wanted it. But it wasn't my night to carb up yet, and I am so stuck, so I decided to just wait a bit, and sure enough, they ate it all. Before you think me exceptionally virtuous, know this: halfway through the movie, I started asking if there was any popcorn left..there wasn't. At that point, I would have eaten it.

And now it's time to make some bacon and eggs for some small children....
















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The snow is lovely!! I miss the days when I had an excuse to stay home. We don't get those days in Florida. But like you I don't miss driving in the white stuff and I understand cabin fever 😉 Thanks for the beautiful pictures. I grew up in the snow belt in Ohio... Your pictures bring back happy childhood memories !

Blessings,
Darla

Susan said...

The photos are beautiful.
OK, I have to ask and you certainly do not have to answer but...I am curious about the little A person. Is that a nickname, is she in the witness protection program, or maybe her parents just want her to be anonymous?

16 blessings'mom said...

Susan, she's not in the witness protection program. I just wonder about privacy sometimes, and she's not my child. (Her mama is a dear friend, born less than 12 hours after one of my children.) Little Annika's daddy died in a car accident before she was born, and mama is finishing up college (she's doing fantastic, on the Dean's list:)) I never asked her mom if I could blog about her daughter, it's awkward, ha. Darla, I do envy you living in the land that never snows, especially when we're stuck home so much during vacation. Today a friend stopped over, and slipped and fell underneath her vehicle, but was fine...just a bit shaken up. The ice is no joke, and I hate it, so afraid of slipping. My daughters helped me along last evening, as we braved the snow to go out and about for a bit...