summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, February 13, 2016

winter, and a little vacation....



It's minus 5 degrees out, actual temperature (-20-5c). The wind is blowing and we are stuck in a lake effect snow band coming of Ontario. We can barely see across the street, the road hasn't been plowed in hours, and did I mention that it's freezing out? I shoveled the driveway this morning, and brr...



Charlotte, Danielle and Sean, Camille, and Jonathan...we went to our hotel getaway, and it was fantastic!


We all enjoyed the pool and hot tub, but the kids didn't run out of steam. We cranked the heat in the hotel room before heading to the pool, so it was nice and cozy when we got back and changed into comfy clothes, lounged on the beds having snacks and watching Flip or Flop, a show about buying old houses, fixing them up, and selling them.

Paul is home from Florida, just in time for our Arctic weather.

Mali is up in Lake Placid for the weekend, that's rather crazy.

Grandma in Florida said it's in the 70's today there.

Emily is coming over this afternoon if she can make it. The roads are terrible, part of the Thruway right near here is closed, another major highway is closed, due to accidents. Mirielle works in the big city, and simply couldn't get in to work this morning. She started out and only made it a few miles, and couldn't see a thing, realized she driving in the wrong lane, and had to turn around...she tried again a few hours later and made it, but it was a terrible commute. Joseph tried to go to the gym this morning, ha. He made it down our road and came back. "It's insane.", he said. The girls had plans today, all cancelled.

Being "snowed in" isn't horrible though. I made two pounds of bacon, and fried some eggs for those of us who like them. We have lots of hot coffee and tea, and the little girls had toaster pastries...oh I would love one, ha. I took a pound of butter out to make a batch (or rather a triple batch) of chocolate chip cookies. Em's bringing over some stuff to make burritos, and we have some to add.

The little girls have been playing dollhouse, and Sonja is playing FIFA.

So don't feel sorry for us.

And, you know what I like? It's not the kind of Saturday when anyone would stop in. No one is driving by, everyone seems to be staying home...and I know, I need to clean up a bit...but. I washed a few dishes, wiped down counters, and that's about it. The floors need sweeping and mopping, but I don't care too much. We stayed up late into the night on our one night getaway, then I stayed up too late again last night...woke up early and couldn't fall back to sleep, so I got up, took care of the dogs (Duke had peed on the floor over near the door, thank you, Duke), and shoveled the driveway.

Yea, so it's the kind of day for baking cookies, and snuggling under blankets, and for tea kettles and slippers and video games. I have been watching you-tube, counter top refinishing. CAm has fuzzy socks on, and is eating that hot toaster pastry. mmm.

It's not even a Go Sledding, or Build A Snowman kind of day. Frostbite can happen too quickly when it's this cold out. I took my mitten off to use my phone/camera this morning, and my hand froze immediately, and could barely get warm again inside my mitten, so I shoveled quickly and got back into the house. The dogs were more than ready, Duke was whining. A few minutes ago I asked them if they wanted to go out, so they ran to the door all happy, then when Cam opened the door, they just stood there. Nah, they didn't really wanna go out.

All right, time to warm up the kitchen with those cookies...

No comments: