summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, February 1, 2019

before and after: hair salon!

So, turns out I'm rather conservative...the stylist wanted to do something a bit more radical, but I chickened out. I wanted a natural look, a trim, some highlights (and shh, some gray covered!). I almost went shoulder length, but surprisingly my hair is in good condition, just dry. So...it doesn't look too different!

Before:


And after:

Still long enough to clip up when it gets bothersome, or when it's hot in Cancun. :). I told her I don't blow dry or curl my hair, just a little big of mousse, scrunch it, and done. I don't even brush it on between washings days, just run my fingers through it. I wanted to keep it real, didn't want a style that looks fanny-tastic at the salon, then just mush at home. Something real, and I like it. It was a good experience, so relaxing. I turned my phone volume down, and forgot all about the cares of life for a few hours. Will I go back? hmm. I don't want it to ever be un-special, so maybe not...

ha, one of my girls just texted me that she bought brand new undies and they ripped...I told her to call the store and say she's dying of embarrASSment. I am too fanny. Funny.

Anyway. I have had a busy morning already. Our minivan is making funny noises and smelling just hot and burnt when we get out, so when Paul left for work this morning, he drove me to town first and we dropped it off. Then Sonja texted that she left her chemistry binder on the table and has homework due today, which she was going to do in study hall...our remaining minivan is in rough shape...the heat only works in the front, and it shimmies and shakes when you go over 50 mph. So it's been in the driveway for a long time, hasn't been dug out. It's four degrees out, and this van is covered in snow. I remembered we need a new dump permit, so I have to go out and about anyway, so I texted Sonja that I can bring that binder in. Well. Mind over matter, harrumph. I could not get that van de-iced. I shoveled off the snow, then got the ice chopper and tried scraping. Now, the heat in this van only works when the van is actually in motion, (and then only in the front). So even with it running, the window wasn't warming up. I tried spraying it with Windex, it helped only marginally. My fingers were going numb in my gloves, and my face was too. I tried and tried to get all of the ice off, then realized there is a time and a place for pressing on, and a time to cry UNCLE and go in the house and text Sonja...sorry, honey.

My theory is that since the temperature will go up to around 12 today, I'll have a better chance of getting that last bit of ice off the windshield. At least I'll be thawed by then, ha. My fingers ached and itched as they defrosted, not good.

So later I'll give it another try, and at least get the dump permit.

I should be packing. I'm leaving at 3:30 am, tomorrow morning, and I haven't packed yet. I have piles here and there and ideas of what I'm bringing.

What could be more fun than going from 4 degrees today to 85 tomorrow?

Don't hate me. One of my girls said, "Must be nice." And I said, "It is. And maybe when YOU are 53, you can go on vacation, too." Not that I think I deserve this trip, I SO appreciate it, but honestly, when you've had 25 years of playing the Should I Sneak To The Bathroom or Announce I'm Going With A Reminder Not To Trash The Place game, I think I am okay to go on a trip without feeling too guilty.

(The sneaking usually worked better for me. Sometimes the toddler would spot me, and follow, and I cannot tell you how many leaks I've taken with a small child on my knee, which is the better of the two evils: holding child or letting child loose in bathroom...especially a crawling infant).(or the dreaded Banging On The Bathroom Door and Crying) (I also cannot even tell you how many times I've weighed the options and decided to just take the little newborn with me, or perhaps the mischievous four year old...you have to keep everyone safe!).

I'm not saying it's stressful to have tons of children, but shh, it is. You pretty much live in a constant state of deciding what's safest, what's most urgent (breastfeeding baby, and is that toddler's diaper leaking? Can it wait while baby nurses, or change diaper while baby wails? Phone rings. Dryer buzzes. Dog needs to go out. Three year old wants to play matching game, you get it out and she sees...Play Dough! Baby hungry. Grab cookies, pass them out, take a huge stack, feed baby. School kids troop in door, need snacks....at one time, ten kids were getting off that bus in the afternoon...the third grader has the Native American project, oh goody, we get to build another longhouse! And there's a chorus concert tonight! yay, ha. not. Wait, who did what on the bus? Dinner time, and what the heck? I have to make dinner again? I just did that last night!)

Multiply that day by 365, multiply that by years and years.

I loved it. Most of it. Not when they barfed, or when I had to take them to the dentist. The Orthodontist Years were a real treat, the two oldest had braces, and I had the choice of staying in the van with the other 8 or nine, or bringing them in the office and getting stared at, or bringing them somewhere by myself for a bit then picking the girls up after their appointments. No cell phones back then, so this was too tricky.

Anyway.

I have lived through crazy. My life now is rather serene and tranquil, even the days that Lydia AND Anne are here, comparatively. And I won't go as far as to say I have post traumatic stress disorder, because that belittles those who truly do, like my Benjamin who was a medic in Afghanistan. But...I do appreciate my quiet moments more than anything. And a nice warm vacation with no responsibility...oh dear. One of the kids asked me if I was bringing a book. No. I would rather just stare into space and think uninterrupted thoughts...clear my head...totally relax.

So...I am bringing the MacBook, so you can all come along on vacation with me. :)






6 comments:

Susan said...

Your hair looks even more beautiful than usual! The highlights are the perfect touch!
So happy that we will all be able to travel along with you!

Stacet Claire said...

Della your hair and you are beautiful!!! Have the BEST time on your Vacay...you so deserve it!!!!

Marilyn said...

Love be your hair Della. Looks fabulous........you really have beautiful hair. Have a great holiday.......hope the trip to the airport isn’t too harrowing 😬😬

Marilyn from Canada

Michelle in FL said...

Your hair looks so pretty! It looks very natural too:) I hope you enjoy the warm weather and yes, you definitely deserve it.

An American Housewife said...

Probably too late - but mix 2/3 cup rubbing alcohol with 1/3 cup water and spray it on your windshield.

:)

Your hair may not look different, but it looks healthy. LOL.

16 blessings'mom said...

Oh, the alcohol and water, I forgot that hack, I read about that somewhere...I remembered Windex, but that didn't help much. The sun came out and helped me, so this afternoon when Suzanne got home from school, we went to town and picked up that van. Then I went to the town clerk and got a new dump permit, and renewed the dogs' licenses, then to the Dollar General for a new phone charger...and some peanut M&M's to put in my purse, just in case, you know, for the trip.
Thank you about the hair. It feels healthier, the dead ends trimmed, and she put this shiny stuff in it...