summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

adventures with some daughters...


Molly Rose holding her Ophelia Madelyn Rose, Charlotte Claire, cousin Danielle (she's staying with us indefinitely) Sonja K. holding little Lydia Eleanor, me, Emily, Abigail, and Camille. (a nice lady took this for us, then Em took one for her fam)

So six daughters, a niece, and two granddaughters...we hadn't planned a big excursion, but we had one seat in the van left, and I knew Emily had the day off...turned out Molly did too, and they had plans, so we combined at the last minute!


Sonja, the master group-selfie taker...





It was a perfect day. The weather was in the seventies, low humidity, sunny, not too hot, but cool and refreshing in the shade. Emily brought a picnic blanket, and after we walked to the falls, we got out some chairs, spread the blanket, had some drinks and snacks, near the rushing sound of the lower falls.

Our next destination was the creamery, homemade ice cream, and yes, I had some. They make their own waffle cones, too. I couldn't decide, so I had a scoop of fluffernutter, which is peanut butter and marshmallow fluff, and some peanut butter delight too. Lydia chose lemon, which she let us all try, oh dear, it was like lemon meringue pie. We are in phase III here in central NY state, so we could eat outside on the premises. While we were sitting at the picnic table, a service window opened, and the nice young gentleman who works there offered us a free milkshake...it was a sundae shake, with whipped cream and hot fudge...Lyd rather liked it.

Driving along Cayuga Lake is absolutely beautiful. The Finger Lakes are glacier formed, and they are sparkling and clear and lovely. There are so many wineries, but I didn't stop and pick up any bottles, I wanted to but our air conditioning isn't working in the van, and it would be mean to leave the kids out there to sweat while mama bought wine, right? But we drove right by, we were so close! The van is in the shop now, finally, to repair the AC. They called and here's the thing: $915 to fix it. um, what? I do admit I reacted in shock, I said, "Nine HUNDRED dollars?" mm-hmm. The other option is to block off the rear AC, and just fix the front stuff, which, sorry kids, is only $275, and well, they can't blame us, can they? They're also clamping up the muffler, yay! The coat hanger came loose the other day, and we limped home with that thing bumping and dragging when we went over the least little dip in the road...a new coat hanger was promptly installed, but a clamp is much better.

It's the little things, right? Today we have a to-do list. It involves removing the rest of the thrift store donations from the van in the driveway, and returning the cans and bottles for five cents each.

School is over for the girls, Jonathan still has to complete a few things before I can send in his final report for homeschooling, but yay!

3 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

Your day out with the girls sounds just lovely! At first I thought you said you stopped at a cemetery. Duh....creamery Suz! I've never had fluffenutter ice cream, but I do enjoy all things Peanut butter, so I know I'd enjoy that.

You are a much better Mom than I because I would have HAD to stop at the winery. :)

I'm happy you were able to get some updates on the van...dang, that's a lot of money, honey!

Marilyn said...

Looks like you had a great day out with the girls!! That ice cream sounds heavenly!! I would get some too if I was there.......how can you not!! That’s not great news about the van though.........😬...........on the other hand I think it is hilarious that you use the old van to store things 🤣🤣 Good use for it I’d say............you had to put that stuff somewhere. Have a lovely evening.

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Valerie said...

We get these coolant cans at Ollie's to recharge our van air-conditioning. But sounds like you have bigger problems with yours? What a great day away!