summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, June 13, 2020

sometimes I just cry...

Crying is not reasonable. You can tell it to stop, and that you have a million things to be thankful for. But sometimes, tears come anyway. When you believe, as I do, that God causes all things to work together for your best, then you know that in all of life's situations there will be something of worth. But sometimes, things still hurt, and tears come.

It can be difficult to balance on this blog, what is MY story, and protecting other people's privacy. But I will say this. My daughter left home in January to live in California...I visited with her in March...and she came this past week. She came over here twice, for 40 minutes, and for an hour. I thought she was coming back over last evening, and she didn't. She didn't have time, she said. I know it's not anything personal (is it?), but it hurts. There's a little bag of treats on the table in the kitchen, gum and M&M's, that I got them for their trip back, but they didn't come over. It won't go to waste, of course, and I can joke about it, but the tears insist on coming.

Having hurt feelings is a tricky one, because I will not allow myself to become bitter, angry, offended. That doesn't help anyone. And if she reads this, I don't know if she does or not, I hope she doesn't feel bad, because that's not what I want either. I just wanted to write about how it affects me...

Another thing happened this week which I cannot write about, because I insisted I was fine and it was okay, so now I have to live up to that and actually BE OKAY, ha. Again, you can't help when your feelings get hurt, but then the thoughts that come afterward, we have full freedom to put a stop to them, so that bitterness doesn't take root. My prayers this week have been, "Dear Lord, please, help me to be good, through and through, and not let my love grow cold, no matter what!"

One thing I keep thinking of is the saying that when you point your finger at someone in accusation, the rest of your fingers are pointing back at yourself.

Ah life is interesting, isn't it?

Today, Mr. Wulf is coming here for some Grandma time. He is going to be a big brother in a few months, and his parents need to do some rearranging and setting up for the new baby. So today, he is coming over here to be with me. He came for a visit last evening, and oh dear he's growing up! He wears undies now, and sat with me for two story books. He is the Energizer Bunny, Mr. Busy Himself, but he's starting to slow down a bit. He's so grown up, so earnest when he tells me about things, and he has these cute little manners, oh my heart.

Paul is working on the riding mower, I picked up a part for him yesterday. We have two push mowers, the one that Char thought she broke is fine, good thing, it's brand new. But our yard is pretty big, and the mowing has to be done a few times a week at this point.

I don't know when our pool deck will be started, or when we're going to look at vehicles...our van is a 2008, and she's getting a bit...tired. Or rather WE are getting tired, of the repairs! We have another van in our driveway that needs way too much work than is worth putting in to it, it's also a 2008, and I'm embarrassed to say that it's become like the driveway shed. We've done so much clearing out, and where do you put all the bags that are heading to the thrift store, which had been closed suddenly for months? Why, how about we put them in the blue van? Excellent idea. Except for the way it looks, parked in the driveway, filled with trash bags, so classy. So yesterday we took about 3/4 of the bags to the thrift store, we'll get there rest soon, and then I think Paul is donating the van to some a Veteran's cause.

After dropping off the bags, we went to Marshall's!
We had to wait in line to get in, but it was only like five minutes. Everything in there was on clearance, and we found too much good stuff. A pair of shorts and a top for Sonja K., some nail polish for Camille, and a sweatshirt for Miss Char. Danielle didn't find anything, although I encouraged her she could certainly get something if she found it. I didn't get anything for myself except for stuff for the grandkids. A doll for a birthday, some new swim trunks for Wulf, a shirt for Grant...and: Easter chocolate!!! It's actually really weird, to go into a store which is like a time capsule, stopped in it's tracks and closed up in March, now opened up, with all that Easter stuff that no one wants anymore! But, they have good chocolate, German chocolate and Ghiardelli, and for 75% off...well, we got some!

Ah well, my pics aren't loading, it's always something, isn't it? Have a really good day...:)

5 comments:

Rose Sperlonga said...

I'm sorry you are having a down day. I'm sure your little grandson will make you smile! When my tears come boy there is no stopping them. For me I take everything personal. I've been told this my whole life. If there is a party and I don't get an invite, then everyone there hates me or if my grandson (whom I adore) snubs his nose at me, he hates me! This just happened and boy did it sting that he didn't want me around him. But embarking on 10 I guess your just to big and mature for your grammy. :(

We can't wait for Marshals and Homegoods!! Sounds fun!

have a good day,
Rose :)

Marilyn said...

Hi Della. I guess we can all have our feeling hurt and it DOES hurt sometimes. I have to say......without malice........that the young people of today are sometimes are very insensitive, and seem to be very into themselves at times without thinking how their actions affect another person. Sometimes my grandchildren..........one in particular.........can be totally insensitive. We just have to love them anyway. I’m sorry you had a bad day, but you have such a wonderful forgiving spirit. We just have to move on or we can become bitter and we don’t want that. Big hugs!! Fancy little Wulf is in big boy undies!! They grow up just too fast, don’t they? I’m glad you had a nice time at Marshall’s with your girls! I’ve been meaning to venture over there too. This week maybe. Well, enjoy you evening. My hubby just informed me that we have a severe thunderstorm warning for this area 😬😬 I HATE lighting....,,scary!! We get thunder sometimes that can rattle your teeth!!’

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Martha said...

I thought maybe I was the only one who cried and felt selfish at the same time. The therapist just told me today that FEELING the emotion isn't wrong. It's how we act on them that matters. (June is a hard month.)

Your story about the blue van made me smile. I love your honestly and I miss you. I can't wait until this nonsense is over and we can meet friends for lunch again.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the very short visits and non event, of course that would hurt your mumma bear’s heart whether intentional or not. I think we all need to and are allowed to have a cry when feelings get hurt. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that and we need to show ourselves a little grace too. When, as you do, you then try to move on, try see it from a different angle and have faith, that is what matters.

Hope Wulf cheered you uo. Thank you for sharing.

Simone

Bonnie said...

Thank-you for being vulnerable and sharing this. I am very sorry for your sadness and tears but know that posting this has helped someone else. I had a similar experience this week and I didn't feel so alone in my experience hearing other's feel the same way.
Bonnie