summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, March 22, 2023

a day in the hospital...

 On Tuesday morning, when I woke Camille so we could go get her scripts, and some things for activity club, and a few groceries including some things she wanted after surgery (vanilla pudding cups!), I thought, "Well, this is probably the last good and comfy night's sleep she'll have for a while, poor girl..."

(Have you slept in an immobilizer? I have not. It goes from thigh to ankle, it's pokey for the opposite leg, and heavy. )

Anyway, we went out and about, did what we had to do...one of the older kids was sick, we thought it was appendix but it ended up being something else, then one of the other older kids was sick with something, and it was hard for my heart. No matter how old they are, mama wants to be there.

Activity club last night:  we played with little things (Calico Critters, Little Woodzeez), and made little easter baskets from big plastic cups with pipe cleaner handles, and decorated in stickers, (then filled with a small amount of candy), and...ran around.  They love running around.

This fine morning, my alarm set for 5:55, then oops, when I checked the time in the night I realized I had set it for 4:55, so I changed it...then dang it if I didn't second guess myself and lie there wide awake, wondering if I was tricking myself...I was so tired, didn't know if I was really awake.  Anyway.  Not enough sleep, subsequent headache which fluorescent lighting in the hospital didn't help.  Instead of going to visit and hang out with Grace and the kids, or Marge and the kids, I sat in the car during the surgery...drank my coffee, read a book...then I walked a few blocks to use the bathroom at the gas station/minimart/dairy store, and get a coffee.  The surgeon called me after two + hours, things went well. Back into the hospital I went, to wait for a while more...those lights!  

With this surgery, I requested meds for nausea, so the anesthesiologist put a patch on Cam's neck, like when you're seasick, plus they gave her zofran in the I.V., plus a script of it for at home when the pain meds make her queasy. It's like night and day from the last surgery, no throwing up.  (Last time she did it all the way home, 40 minute drive).

All chipper before the surgery, sweet Miss Camille.  

It was a looooong day.  We got home at five.  Sonja K., also a sweetheart, came home from college, cleaned up the house, washed all the dishes, and had a barbecued chicken with red onions pizza just out of the oven as we arrived home.  She had gone to the pharmacy for me, too, for the zofran.  

What a feeling, to have this finally done. I know for Cam, the days ahead will be challenging before she heals up, but phew...it's done.  No plans tomorrow...but it IS Kathryn's birthday...



8 comments:

Cindy said...

I'm so glad everything went well for Cam! Now to rest and heal.

Deb said...

Glad to hear things have worked out better for your daughter this time around. And since she's been through this before, hopefully the whole process will continue to be 'easier.'

After my younger son's shoulder surgery many years ago, they prescribed massive pain killers. He was SO sick the first day or two after that we were considering taking him to the ER. Then we decided to stop the pain meds they'd prescribed and within hours he was feeling better, and did great after that with just normal Tylenol and Advil. It was scary though!

Anonymous said...

So hard when our kids are sick or have surgery abs I don’t care how old they are.
Praying for quick healing!

Judy

Marilyn said...

Hello Della!

I Hope little Cam is doing well after her surgery 🥰 I’m sure she’s uncomfortable at the moment, but the drugs will help with that. Hopefully your headache is better too. What a sweetheart Sonja us for doing all that for you yo come home to. You raised her well 😊

Hopefully today will be good for you all! Happy Birthday to Margaret 🥳🥳

Marilyn from Canada

Terri D said...

I am so glad the surgery is done and went well. Sonja K did good!! Bless her. Get some rest now, all of you!! xo

16 blessings'mom said...

Cindy, thank you!
Deb, those painkillers are potent! Cam has a seasickness patch, and zofran, helps so much. So sad about your son, it's like they didn't go through enough, then getting sick like that after.
Judy, I know! Thank you.
Marilyn, Thank you, and yes, Sonja is a keeper.:)
Terri, rest...ahh, sounds nice! And yes, Sonja :)

Anonymous said...

That’s a sweet face for having been though so much!
Anne H

16 blessings'mom said...

Anne, she's a good patient. She's hilarious, because she's the youngest, my baby, and kind of spoiled, but she also appreciates everything, and is not a drama queen at all. She very maturely assesses things and doesn't exaggerate. She's content, too, to vegetate and read and relax. Soon the real fun begins again though, physical therapy...she knows it's going to hurt, but it's so necessary...