summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, March 15, 2023

snow day!!! chocolate!!!

 








Where do the days go?   I had Wulf and Tennyson on Monday, they spent most of the night...their daddy drove all the way to Philadelphia to pick up their mommy, and Miss Char, as their flight into Syracuse was cancelled.  He dropped Char here, woke up the boys, and drove home to Oswego.
The bag in the back is what they call Booby Ladies...:). the 6 pack are Kvikk Lunsj, (quick lunch), it's like a Norwegian KitKat, only a million times better.  European chocolate, can't go wrong.

Tuesday was a SNOW DAY!  We only have one in public school, but that one is Charlotte Claire, and did she ever need a day after all that traveling!  Sonja K. is on school break too, so it was a fantastic snow day!  Camille made oatmeal raisin cookies, which I LOVE, but have managed to stay away from so far...

I made pumpkin bread with apples and raisins, low carb of course.
I can't say that it was delicious, but it smelled heavenly and was satisfying.

Emily, Mariel, and Evelyn are in Lisbon, Portugal now...looks wonderful, wish I was with them.
Mariel and Evelyn
Evelyn and Mariel
Evelyn's picture...they're having a nice time, I hope they go again next year and I can go too:)

This picture is from a few years back when I spent a day in London with Emily, Suzanne, and Sonja.



Wulf and Tenny, brekky at the coffee table.
Granddaughter Ophelia, wanted to help me make the pot pie...
I don't trim the crust at the edges, just fold it all in because it's the very best part, in my humble, piggy, opinion.  I sprinkle the top with salt and coarse pepper, and rosemary.  I refrained from putting extra butter on the top this time.   I made two, because Adrian was going to be here for dinner Monday, but he ended up leaving to drive to Philly, so we only ate one...there was another whole one, so into the oven it went for dinner last night.  

Now the sun is shining, and I'm itching to get out of the house.  The water aerobics class was cancelled this morning, I wouldn't have made it anyway, as the driveway was full of snow.  Paul went out with the snowblower, so it's all clear now.  The pool is closed until afternoon though.

People, in general, live in a strong delusion that so many things MATTER so MUCH, putting down roots here on the earth as if we're here to stay.  Planning, buying, saving, stocking...maybe necessary, but where our heart is, there our treasures is also.  

Young people don't believe how fast life goes by.  All the years they spend preparing for life, they don't realize that that IS their life.  You have to live fully in the days you have, don't get bogged down worry about tomorrow.  Yeah, maybe the grandkids come over and the toys get strewn, but those children will be teenagers before you blink.  

Nine years ago: my five-girls-in-a-row-in-five-years, out shopping. (Margaret was five and a half when Sonja was born, so it was Margaret 5, Kathryn 4, Evelyn 2 1/2, Suzanne 1, and Sonja newborn).  You can see in the above photo that they were NOT thrilled I took the picture, ha.  Suzanne was 13, Evelyn 14, Sonja 11, Kathryn 15, and Margaret 17...(Sonja would be turning 12 in May, Kathryn 16 in a few weeks)

Only one of those little girls still lives at home, Miss Sonja K., the one in the middle of the pic, the youngest of those five-in-a-row.  All the cat fights and clothes fights and door slamming and singing and silliness and drama..whew, flew right by.  There seemed to be always two of them disagreeing about SOMETHING.  Now just Sonja, Char, and Cam here at home...Sonja and Char fake fight, just for the fun of it, but the three of them get along just fine.  

All right...ran out of profound things to write ha...and my coffee is gone...so goodbye for now.




7 comments:

Marilyn said...

Hello Della 👋

I love all your pictures …….. it’s always nice to look back isn’t it? My girls used to squabble and argue

I thought they would never get along, but of course they are best friends. You certainly have snow up to your eyeballs, don’t you! Wow. The pie looks soooook good 😊 AND all that lovely chocolate 😋😋😋

I’m off to the dentist for a clean….so I’ll be all shiny and new. I’m very thankful for my dental plan 😊

Have a wonderful afternoon!!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Billie Jo said...

This paragraph you wrote, my friend, "Young people don't believe how fast life goes by. All the years they spend preparing for life, they don't realize that that IS their life. You have to live fully in the days you have, don't get bogged down worry about tomorrow. Yeah, maybe the grandkids come over and the toys get strewn, but those children will be teenagers before you blink."

This is everything. I absolutely love it. And you!

Mari said...

Hooray for a snow day just when you need one! (although I think it's time for the snow to go) :)
The cookies look good and the pie is so pretty!
There's lots of wisdom in your words on how fast life goes and the things we worry about.

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, that really makes me smile, your girls being best friends now. It's precious. Also, no one likes going to the dentist, but you have a cheery attitude about it and choose to be thankful for your dental plan, that's refreshing...unless...you like going to the dentist? :)
Billie Jo, it's something to think about, isn't it?
Mari, yes, it was a very fantastic day for a snow day...it can disappear now, I'm ready for tulips and grass.

Joybells said...

That's funny that you had a snow day! We had a 2-hour delay the same day, for a bit of ice on the roads. Salem just isn't set up for dealing with much more than rain. It seemed to me that God gave us a 2-hour delay to help us tired families who haven't adjusted to the time change yet! And your Charlotte Claire got a day off too. Your chocolate looks amazing!!!!

Joy from Salem

Marilyn said...

I am ready for tulips and grass too!!!! What a novel thought!!! I’ve almost forgotten what it looks like 🤣🤣🤣

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Carol said...

I love the fact that your children travel the world. I wish I could. Those cookies look good.