summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, March 27, 2023

recreational arguing...

 ...three girls doing their school work, telling each other to be quiet in between breaking out in Taylor Swift, crunching on Sun Chips.  Camille isn't getting around too well yet, and is all snuggly on the couch. There are long silences as they actually do some work, then one of them will start doing their math out loud, or ask if seepage is a word.

I talk too much, they've informed me.  So I read the news and couldn't help sharing the awful news about the latest school shooting: perpetrated by a young woman.  

So I'm trying to be quiet, and behave, but now one of them is crunching too loud for another one of them.  (That was an unreasonably loud bite...maybe I should switch my essay topic to "Loud Eating", it infuriates me.  Other sister:  you're not going to have enough evidence and data for that. )




This fine morning, after the pool, I went to Target to pick up a few things. I was all by myself, so I wandered around looking a bit.  I only spent 27 dollars, and that was including a big package of chicken breast.  

Next, Price Chopper, for a few steaks...less than four dollars a pound.  The Peter Pan peanut butter was buy one get one free, and I found a soft fuzzy blanket in the seasonal aisle, marked down to five dollars...I gave into Camille.  

Then, Aldi, for blueberries, bananas, salad fixings, butter ($2.49 a pound!), eggs, and some lime juice.  The chicken breast is now marinating in lime juice, salt and pepper. I'll dry it off, douse it in olive oil, and roast it, slice it, and serve it with the salad fixings and some fresh Italian bread (for the girls).  

I dropped a carton of eggs in the driveway when I got home...shopping alone is nice, but bringing all the stuff in alone is NOT nice.  I had to take three trips, and it's up the deck steps!  Anyway, three broken eggs, so guess who had scrambled eggs for lunch?  

Everything is put away, the floors are vacuumed, I did some laundry, and soon it's into the kitchen with me...wow, don't I live the most exciting life?  

Yesterday after church, some of the kids and spouses and grandkids came over...we ordered pizza and wings, and Emily brought over some fancy carrot soup, spicy, made with coconut milk, SO GOOD.  There were still cupcakes here from Kathryn's birthday, and I made homemade half moon cookies yesterday morning.

Tennyson and Rhys, cousins...




With the grandkids here, there was running and yelling and silly nonsense, but oh my goodness I love them.  Grandpa was chasing them around, and Tennyson kept running to me when Grandpa almost got him...oh, those hugs!  Rhys checks in with me quite frequently, she likes to rock a little and will request, Ba Ba Black Sheep.  I got to hold newborn Jamison, and even Wulf came to sit with me for a little.  

Char's spellcheck switched mismatched to mustache, which is apparently hysterically funny.  Ah well...dinner isn't going to cook itself.


3 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Hello, lovely friend!!!! I wish I lived near you, so I could follow you around and learn all your tricks! You are so active and productive and cozy and fun. And your family is so loving! Thanks for sharing your beautiful life!

Terri D said...

If I wasn't so old, I could surely envy those little ones, and all the noise, activity, and love!! Your busy kitchen must smell wonderful all the time! Hugs!

Marilyn said...

Hi Della!

Too bad about the dinner not cooking itself isn’t it? Funny how that is.

Sounds busy at your place. Quiet here. Just the 2 of us and the dog. My husband isn’t a chatterer like me, so I prattle on and he listens and nods 🤣🤣

Awful about the school shooting. There’s so many of those happening it seems 😔 We had 2 young policemen shot and killed responding to a family dispute a couple of weeks ago. They didn’t even have time to draw their guns. It was a 16 year old boy. He shot his mother and then himself. Tragic. We haven’t had anything like that for 8 years and before that 23 years. So a rare thing here where I live. We have never had a school shooting. It’s horrifying. On Monday there was a big formal funeral and procession here in the city. 2000 police officers from our city and across Canada marched to where the big funeral was held. We watched on TV and I wept for those families. Oh dear……what is our world coming to.

Have a lovely day 💕

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦