summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, March 6, 2023

only twenty....

 ....that's not all of us, but that's how many were here yesterday for dinner....a nice big crockpot full of homemade meatballs, pasta, Italian bread and butter, celery and carrots, and before dinner cheese, crackers, and pepperoni.  


Up with the sun...why, oh why, is it so hard to get up when I have to get up, but Saturdays and Sundays I'm wide awake when I could sleep in?

This fine morning, I went to the pool, then home...Kathryn texted, she wanted to get out of the house, as today is her due date, and well, you need to keep busy.  I behaved myself and didn't embarrass her, I almost told half the people in the stores today that it's her due date...but I didn't.  


Old Navy has a Bouncy Ball machine, only 25 cents.  

We went to Target, for coffee filters and seltzer, chicken breast, and this:
Isn't that too cute?  It's for Ruth!  Kathryn bought one for Rhys too, I should get one for Ophelia, but she probably has so many from Lydia...I do love shopping for the grandkids.  When Kathryn's baby is born, we will have 12, an even dozen...six boys, six girls...then THREE MORE are due in August and September, so we'll have fifteen!  

Anyway...we went to Aldi, for strawberries, red potatoes, cabbage, carrots, eggs, cream, tortilla chips...then I ran into Tops because the burger was on sale...I also got two small steaks for dinner tonight, buy one get one free....

I really really really want to go to the fabric store...I just haven't managed to get there, and I have a spiffy sewing machine.  Problem is, I have to set it up on the kitchen table, and it's a pain to put it all back away when people (grandkids) come over...but hmmm...maybe they'll just look at it and leave it...maybe I'll just get it out...

Did you know:
1.  I never get bored.  There is always something to do.  I also love to be home alone.  
2.  The other day I realized that I'm 57, not 56.
3.  I love and admire organization, but don't seem to be very capable of keeping things organized.
4.  Cleaning the kitchen as I go is the ONLY way, I cannot cook or bake in a messy kitchen.
5.  I'm getting the itch to clean things out again, downsize, get rid of more things.
6.  The Queen of Procrastination, that's me!  When I finally accomplish something I've put off for ages, oh it's nice, phew.  Phone calls are high on the Put It Off list.
7.  Steak, beef, burger:  better than chicken or pork, but bacon is #1, bacon and eggs is one of the best meals.
8.  Chocolate is a necessity.  I can cut back, and I can skip days, but sometimes I need chocolate. I'm already excited for the Norwegian chocolate that Charlotte Claire will be bringing home from Norway.
9.  We have three guitars in our living room.
10. Toys, toys, toys...I do love toys.
11. A perfect day:
      a.  Rain....dark, wild rain, windy, a good book, hot coffee, no one else home (as long as we're dreaming, the house would be spotless, and I'd have a platter of strawberries, chocolate, low carb cookies, and a steak)
     b.  the beach, 80 degrees and sunny, with a slight breeze, with warm wavy water to dip in every half hour.
      c. The whole family over on a summer day...burgers, hot dogs on the grill, a watermelon...
      d.  wineries with the older girls
      
I am overdue for some time spent with my sister...we used to go shopping together all the time...

Sometimes when I should be sleeping, I think about things.  I should just get my laptop out in the night and write down my thoughts.  Thing is, when you're almost sixty, most of your life is behind you, so you realize that the things on your some day agenda might not actually happen.  You wonder how you lost touch with your brother.   I have a Best Friend with whom I've lost touch...I cannot even believe it happened. She moved in with her father before Covid hit, to take care of him, so I rarely saw her...we were friends since middle school...all these years, all the kids (she has 12!), then Covid happened, and she seriously locked down, no ifs-ands-or buts about it, so I didn't see her for a few years!  Now...I don't know...she stopped coming to church, I've texted her a few times here and there,  then ran into her at Aldi, saw her at Christmas... but how does this happen?  

Today is also the 14th anniversary of my brother's death.  I cannot believe it's been so long.  Melancholy.  It's an excellent word, but a horrible feeling.  Atrocious.  Shocking. Horrific.  Mind-numbing.  That night seemed like hell visited earth for a while.  Paul and I had gone out shopping for flooring for our living room, and were headed home when my sister called.  She told me, "Billy shot himself.  He's dead."  She was also in shock, and there's no easy way to say those words.  They're pivotal words, life never goes back to how was before you heard them. 

We gathered there at my brother Tom's house, where Billy had been staying.  It was a chilly, windy night, and the police came.   Those lights flashing and flashing, Tom, who had found him, hugged me tight and said, "Jesus Christ, Billy, Jesus Christ." over and over again, just in shock.  The whole night, unbelievable.  why? why?  why?  We would have helped you Billy, we would have.  What was wrong?

(For clarity, he was smart, funny, clever, caring...he took care of our parents when they were sick.... He had been offered a nice position with the post office, and another with the county, as an electrician.  He had money, plenty of it.  When he died he had NO drugs OR alcohol in his system, but he did have very high levels of carbon monoxide, probably from the heater he was using in small space...whether that impaired his judgement, we'll never know)

In any case, it's still awful and sad and unbelievable.   I miss him terribly, and it doesn't really get better.  The days go by, and sometimes I forget about him for a bit, but every time I remember, it's just as bad.  That night, after I got home, the shaking and shivering wouldn't stop, I wasn't just cold, it was shock.  When I think about it too much, I start shaking again, right now I am freezing. 

(Those morons up in Canada with their assisted suicide laws...don't even get me started.  People need HOPE, and HELP)

Anyway.  Sorry to turn this post into a real downer.  You know my life is a good one, and I am actually very thankful and happy, but there are thorns, and this is one of them, my brother Billy.  

Off I go now, to warm up, and make some dinner...










13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, Della, I am sorry you are hurting. Thank you for sharing this difficult story. That is cool about an even dozen grandchildren! I had six and six, and then our thirteenth girl was a surprise. We only knew she or he would break the tie, ha. I tell everyone that I think six and six is more amazing than having twelve kids, in that it was something we couldn't have predicted. Just as your sweet grandbabies are!
Valerie

Mari said...

I'm so sorry for that terrible loss. On that anniversary date, I'm sure it always will come back.
That swim suit is adorable. I love buying for the grands too. And they look so much cute in the clothes I get them, then I do in mine. :)
Hope that baby comes soon!

Terri D said...

I am so sorry you and your family had to experience the suicide of your dear one. Wish I could hug you, Della. Sending some love your way! xo

Maureen said...

I am so very sorry about your brother. Our siblings are very dear to us. I think as we get older we might recognize even more how very special they are - they have known use so long. I guess this side of heaven, there are some things we will never really understand. I pray your brother is at peace.

I love that you choose to see so much good in your life and that sets such a wonderful example for your children and grandkids. I hope you are feeling better!

Anonymous said...

❤️ Love you!
Your sister

Hena Tayeb said...

You are living a fulfilling life.. surrounded soon my 15 grandbabies..
Sorry to hear about your brother
And it's funny about the friend.. it has happened to me as well.. I had a friend, we could not live without each other.. when she went away for the summer we wrote each other letters (pre internet) and then one day we just didn't speak and I don't know. There have been other friends lost in other ways..

Marilyn said...

Hello Della. 😊

Good for you getting to the pool! How is Kathryn doing? She’s likely fed up with herself by now I would think.

That was quite the troop for supper and it sounded delicious! I would be in a panic if I had to cook for 20 people. I guess I could of course but I’m out of practice for a big crowd now.

I can see why you never get bored. You are always so busy it seems, which is a good thing. I also hate cooking in a messy kitchen. I wash up as I go. AND I’m also a terrible procrastinator…….oh dear i can think about something forever then dash about like a flea in a fit at the last minute!! 🙄

I’m so sorry about what happened to your brother. It never really goes away, does it? So sad. Big hugs 🤗

You have a really lovely day!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

16 blessings'mom said...

Valerie, thank you, and six and six, what fun! Our first eight were four girls, four boys, then Miss Margaret Cheryl was #9, tiebreaker.....first of those 5-girls-in-a-row...(then Robert, Jonny, and two more little girls....)...
Mari, thank you...and ha, yes, much more satisfying to shop for little ones than for me, they actually look quite adorable in their new clothes. :)
Maureen, thank you, and you're right, there are things we will never understand.
Cheryl, same...:)
Hena, thank you, and yes, I have a good life. Strange about the friend, isn't it? It's a loss for sure.
Marilyn, I know, yay me, getting in that pool! Kathryn is getting there, labor is starting! We have her little ones here now, all settled into bed... You would do fine cooking for twenty...especially if it happened gradually. We aren't fancy about it, that's for sure, I spring for those nice paper plates, the thick ones! And thank you, it will always be sad, Billy. Thank you for kind words. Thank all of you for kind words.

Deb said...

"Only 20..." Oh my gosh, I was laughing out loud right off the bat with this post. Geez, my house feels full just with the two boychildz and their friend home! LOL

That's hard, what happened with your brother. I have no personal experience with such things, so I can only imagine. My sister's husband's brother shot himself a few years ago, but the shot didn't kill him. So they had the added trauma of deciding about life support. And with him too, they didn't see any signs, didn't know he was struggling. =(

Enough of that. Hope you're having a great day!

Anonymous said...

Those anniversary dates are strong. We can’t look away for even a second. It’s easy to lose our bearings.
Cute kid clothes btw!
Anne H

Anonymous said...

Also, this is Anne H again… I worked up a few posts on nursing. How to be a pediatric nurse. How to be a hospice nurse … it’s for your special nursing school student!
I hope you enjoy.
I don’t have an email address for you, so this is me doing a humble brag post link!

Anonymous said...

https://carbtripper.blogspot.com/2023/03/a-look-at-nursing.html
For you!
Anne H

Michelle in FL said...

I always love reading your thoughts. I am sorry about your brother, it’s truly awful. It is interesting how our bodies respond just from remembering (or smelling/hearing things that remind us of certain events)…I read a book called The Body Keeps the Score, it’s so true and a good read.