summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

chickpea cookies? uh-huh...

Now, I was skeptical. But I saw a picture of one, all oozing with melted chocolate, and thought What The Heck. So, I tried them. I tweaked the recipe the second time I made them, and believe me, they are yum. Proof they are yum: I wanted to take a picture of them, and the container is full of crumbs. I think the boys ate them last night, had no idea what they were made of probably.

Anyway, here is the recipe:

One can of chickpeas, like 15 ounces...(1 and 1/4 cup), rinsed, drained, patted dry with paper towels.
These are supposed to be pureed in a food processor. I used the blender, then a potato masher. It worked.

A heaping half cup of peanut butter. Original recipe says natural only, I used Crunchy Skippy. And I heaped.
I mashed this with chickpea paste with a fork.

I then added a few tablespoons of baking cocoa:)

Add 1 teaspoon of salt.

Add 1 teaspoon baking powder.
Mix it in.

Add 2 teaspoons of olive oil

Add 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.

I added a whole bag of milk chocolate chips this time, but the recipe calls for dark chocolate.

I also added about a half cup of toasted slivered almonds.

Roll them into little balls, pat to flatten a little.

Bake in 350 degree oven for like 15+ minutes. They really need to bake through the middle. Brown them up.

You won't be able to taste the chickpeas in them. They aren't overly sweet, but if you like peanut butter as much as I do, you will love them. I really like using crunchy so there a little peanuts in them, texture means a lot in a cookie.

I added up the calories from the ingredients and divided by the number of cookies (50), and came up with aprox. 60 calories per cookie, and I made them really small. So they aren't necessarily lo cal, but they are certainly healthier than traditional chocolate chip cookies.

I got up and went to the pool this morning. It wasn't a great swim, but it was better than Monday. Today is going to be busy, we still haven't gotten the sand for the pool and Ben and Ashley are coming home tomorrow night! The boys are all working, Kathryn and Evelyn and Suze are camping with Emily, so it will be Mirielle and I, Margaret, and the three youngest....500 pounds of sand isn't too many wheelbarrows full, is it?

Tomorrow I will be working a double-header at the baseball stadium, so far I don't know who will be watching the younger kids. I will go from the game to a small city about an hour and a half south of here to pick Ben and Ashley up from the airport.

It makes me tired just thinking about it, but I can't wait to see them. Last night I dreamed I was in Kmart, that I had stopped there on the way to the airport, and Ben had tricked me and arrived early...he was there in Kmart, and he had no shirt on. I ran and hugged him, and asked him where his shirt was...he said he left it back at the FOB. okay, didn't make any sense, but it was SO good to see him.

My princesses were up when I got up at 6:30. Now, this is too early. Especially because Camille was still up at 10:15 last night, she came in to give me One More Hug, Mama. So. Let's just say they are butting heads with each other. They both just have to have this little tray with a pitcher on it, a Barbie accessory. They both wanted the poor kitten earlier, I had to yell at Camille to seriously not pull it by it's tail from Char. She said she wasn't going to, but I thought she was....oh dear. We all need a nap:)




















2 comments:

Karen said...

I saw those cookies on fb..or pinterest...somewhere...glad to know they're worth trying!

Luke and Valerie said...

That reminds me of some black bean brownies I tried on the family a few years ago. I blogged about it here:
http://valerie.luvaburton.us/?p=1110

My husband didn't like being deceived.:)