summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, March 27, 2014

last day for kitty hats?

Camille Anaya...
Charlotte Claire...

I didn't get pictures of them in their kitty hats this morning, but I did take these. It was 12 (-11 c) degrees when I got up, 14 (-10c) when they went out to get on the bus. Nice spring weather! I told them that this may be the last morning for those furry kitty hats. But I remember saying that to them last week. And the week before.

Well, I have figured out an obvious: why the youngest child is so spoiled. It may just be because the Mommy and the Daddy realize how fast life goes by, how quickly the others grew up, so they don't want to waste too much time with discipline and unpleasantness, but rather cramming in all the fun things before this child grows up, too.

As my two little princesses ate their breakfast and did their homework this morning, I just enjoyed their little-ness. They still need lots of napkins, and have no concept of time in the morning, they need micro-managing. Jonathan still needs lots of this sort of attention too, but the others....they are growing up! Sonja K. is almost 12, she has an alarm clock now, she remembers to take showers without reminders, she does her homework...okay, I do make her lunch sometimes, but she is getting so independent. That is the goal with kids, to teach them responsibility and to take care of themselves.

I know there is a time and season for everything, and the children have to grow up. For years and years and years, we had our adventures and our parties and our crazy trips out and about. The older kids will still go, still help me, but they aren't jumping up and down about a trip to the park anymore. Teenagers are interesting, one day they will be totally gung-ho about something, the next day they want nothing to do with it. But little kids, oh, pick them up early from school and take them to the library and they are in heaven!

Older kids are blessings too, but in different ways. When the parenting is replaced by being equals, and there is fellowship and friendship and companionship...when we go out and about or just sit and have coffee and talk, it is amazing. Emily and I had an excellent shopping trip yesterday, sorry Em, hope that's not social suicide for you!

Anyway, I will be cramming all sorts of fun things into the next few years, before the little girls start snubbing their Barbies and tea parties, and get sullen....

Jonathan is still sick, but you know how kids seem to get more mellow and a bit sweeter when they are sick? Yup. Jon is a sweetheart anyway, but these last few days, he really is. His temperature is 100 this morning and he has a cough. I am still making him do a little bit of work though. Just a little. I was hoping he would be better so we could go to the pool this morning. Perhaps he will want to go on a little walk this afternoon if it warms up enough. He and I are speculating about the missing jet...we don't think it just crashed in the ocean. Why would the pilot go through so much trouble to change the course of the flight, fly under the radar, just to crash in the ocean? It makes no sense. Jon wondered if the debris in the ocean was just suitcases they threw out the plane windows to make it look like there was a plane crash....I told him a little about how that would be impossible, so he is reading about that now...oh he is so funny and fun.

Yesterday I went shopping with Emily, which was fun, and also very productive, as I got some essentials like almonds and peanutbutter. I also made a nice dinner, which was potatoes and onions sliced up and baked in olive oil, hot sausages, and salad. I listed something on ebay, wrote AND mailed two letters, and fit my work out in. It does feel good to get things done. But today, there is more to do. Life is going by too fast!








No comments: