summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

seriously?!!!!


It's summertime...the weather is absolutely glorious. 91 degrees today and sunny, the pool is warm and clear and refreshing. The grass is dry and doesn't need mowing, the garden needs lots of water. The fan on a stick is on here in the living room, in front of it is the only place that's truly comfortable. It's hum makes me sleepy, and want to sit here and read a book.

See, I want to stay home today. My schedule is dotted with things to do every day this week, right to Sunday, but today, my calendar is empty. So I want to have one of those summer days...the stay-in-the-bathing-suit kind of days. But no sir, the kids will not have it. Apparently I promised them a fish for their little fish tank...they have it all set up, filled with water, just waiting for a cute little fishy to swim around in it. So, they reason, today there are no plans, so I should take them to buy their fish. Please Mom, we've been home so much, please. But it's a beautiful day, kids, I say to no avail.

And they are now all getting ready to go on a fishy purchasing adventure. I warned them that I am not spending all that gas money to go to the city just to buy a fish, that we need coffee and some ice and some veggies. They know this, yet are still getting ready to go out and about.

So I am sitting here writing, dreading dressing in bye-bye clothes because it's hot out, yet I'm not about to go in a tank top and these ridiculous skorts I have on now. What I'm doing here isn't just writing on my blog, it's getting my attitude adjusted. I'm taking them because I said I would, but now I have to get happy about it. As easy as I find it is to encourage them to come to peace with what comes their way, be happy, be thankful, count the blessings...when it comes to ME doing it, well...I realize it isn't all that easy.

We know that life isn't being happy doing what we want, but finding happiness in what we have to do. I love my kids, and want to be a good example to them, so today's the day. Ha, listen to me, taking them shopping isn't exactly forced labor...first world probs, ha. We'll have fun.

1 comment:

Carol said...

I hate having to go out when all I want to do is be calm and be home. Summer should be a season of fun in the sun and lazy days.