summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, September 21, 2018

on sneakin' out the door all by my lonesome...

I'm the first to shout the merits and the blessings of having a huge-0 family. I love the noise and the fun and the goodness, but shh, going out and about all by my lonesome...aaahh.

Yesterday I decided not to drag anyone with me. I had to shop for food for the wedding, and as helpful as small children can sometimes be, they get antsy. So I went alone. And I found myself telling no one in particular in the aisles, "I'm hurrying, just need a few more things. Almost done."

I had lots of thinking to do, decisions to make, multiple stores to run into. And I enjoyed every minute of it, except for my aching feetsies.

I got home, and ta-da! It was time to drag the groceries in that I bought for home, because I couldn't just go to all of those stores without buying some bread and butter and coffee and and and for here, could I? There was just enough time to fill 100 little bags with Swedish Fish and Sour Patch Kids and tie them with little ribbons, for wedding favors...(Bethany loves them). Then time to drive Kathryn to work, at the pizza shop in town, then home to get a coffee to go, pack up the mixer and Suzanne and Camille, and to the church to bake cookies.

We stopped and got 20 chicken wings and two slices of pizza (for Suze and Cam!), I had to bribe them to come help me, ha. Suzanne actually will help with anything she can, she's a sweetheart and such a good girl. Cam is too, of course, but she was much more willing when I promised wings.

We made two triple batches of chocolate chip cookies. The bridal couple requested cookies and milk as a welcome snack, served between the ceremony and the wedding dinner/feast. There are probably a few hundred cookies, and they're good. We only over-baked one tray:) So cookies and milk, ice water, and coffee...


Home...ah, home. I was home by 8:20...I had just enough time to put my feet up for a few minutes before it was time to pick Kathryn up at work. She does drive, we just don't always have enough vehicles, and she works only five miles away.

I still need a few things for wedding food, and we have to do so much this evening. We have beef brisket and pork roasts that need to be seasoned (rubbed), and dishes to wash and tables to set. It's going to be a lovely wedding, and I promise to get lots of pics! Especially of the cookies and milk! It's going to be so warm and welcoming.

And it's going to be the first day of fall, chilly-ish, high 62 degrees (16.6c).

This fine morning, the wind is blowing and it's gorgeous outside. We might do something fun after school work is done...:)


6 comments:

Marilyn said...

Good morning Della 🌞 You are amazing with all the things you manage to do! The wedding will be just perfect I’m sure. The food sounds wonderful and yummy. Yes, lots of pictures.........have fun!

Ps.......we have snow this morning 🙁

Marilyn from Canada

An American Housewife said...

So I went alone. And I found myself telling no one in particular in the aisles, "I'm hurrying, just need a few more things. Almost done."



I do this too! LOL.
And when I'm driving and I see a tractor I'll find myself calling out "Ooo a horsey!" "Look at those pumpkins!" or "Oh look! There's a tractor!" to no one - just because I get so used to saying it to "The Littles" one of which is tractor CRAZY at age 3. And then I feel foolish because I'll remember I'm in the car alone! LOL.

Grocery shopping with the kids (especially my 22 year old) is FUN but honestly I do a better job and are much more organized and quick and don't forget things if I'm doing it myself. :)


PS: Watching with interest all your 'wedding' talk. 22 year old dd is engaged and we are starting wedding planning now. And talking about doing our own food - which I don't think the venue is too crazy about. They really are pushing their own caterer... (which is a personal friend of theirs as well as an employee at their 2nd business). And I'm worried about going the food and set up while I'm supposed to be doing photos and helping the bride get ready, and people will be arriving... how are you handling that stuff????



16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, SNOW???! Not yet! We have some leaves starting to turn, corn fields getting golden, and some wind...but it's 82 (27.7) here today!!! Snow IS beautiful, but not yet!!!

Wedding plans are fun, but oh dear it's busy! Our venue is our church, we have a nice kitchen there, and are allowed to make the food ourselves. We have about a hundred people coming tomorrow, most of whom are our family and the bride's fam, she is one of fourteen. My food budget, a mere $700, and so far, right on course. We had to rent a few tables, and table cloths, and the flowers were extra...
So it's tricky to get it all done, our menu was chosen because it's reasonably priced food, and it can be done ahead of time and just put out when it's time. We have some friends who are willing to bring it out, and help serve, we're doing a buffet line. Tonight we are setting tables, and doing food prep work. The ceremony isn't until 4:30, so we have time to get last minute things done. If I had the money to do it, I think it would be nice to cater it. My daughter Emily owns a catering business, but has only done a few events because of school and work, she's an N.P. She still has the dishes and equipment, we like to do things ourselves. So it's not just me in the kitchen, far from it! Emily, Mariel, Evelyn, and lots of our friends. I'll let you know how it goes, and hopefully, I'll take lots of pictures...

Martha said...

I am so behind the times. Who is getting married? One of yours?
And I always loved sneaking away alone too. Very often I enjoyed taking them along, but to get away alone was lovely.
:0)

16 blessings'mom said...

Martha, my son Joseph is getting married! He has never moved away from home, except for three months in Norway several years ago. He's 27, and he Lives In The Basement, we've teased him plenty, ha. He is my artist child, he works from home, contract work, he's amazing. He bought a car, and got engaged, and bought a house in town...:)
He won't be far away, but oh dear I'm gonna miss him.

Martha said...

I have missed every one of my children. Most days I still do.
They are right when they say, "The days are long but the years are short."
Where did the time go?