summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, September 26, 2018

why pie? why not???!



Two apple pies...because we went apple picking the other day, and had so many apples. I started peeling them, and Camille found the butter crust recipe online, multiplied it by four (two tops, two bottoms), and started measuring the flour. She helped roll it out, too, and top it with half and half and sugar, because duh, it needs more fat and sugar. I sprinkled a bit of lemon juice on the apples, along with sugar and flour and cinnamon, and some butter on top before the top crusts went on.

Is it good? Oh.my.dear.goody.good.goodness. The house smells heavenly, and we just happen to have squirty whipped cream in the 'fridge. Diet, I know you're thinking that...what about my healthy eating? Well, first pies of the seasons, diet shmy-et.

Lydia is here tonight, she came this afternoon right after Anne left. She liked the pie, too. She didn't quite finish it all, but hey, that's what Gramma is for. And I wonder how I got like this, ha.

Today, we went to the library.

We took turns watching Anne, and looking for books. Charlotte Claire wins.



Home, and time to make dinner, ahead of time, for once. Cubed, dredged in flour and spices (rosemary and salt and pepper) and browned 6+ pounds of chicken breast in olive oil, then added water and some chicken broth, simmered for a few hours, added potatoes and mixed veggies, served with those little pop and fresh rolls...none for me though.

Yesterday, we had a big day. We went shopping for paint for those rooms that are getting moved around. I'll try to take before and after pics!

Who doesn't love a big home improvement store? Lowes, love it.






My head was spinning. We looked at flooring, we are re-doing our kitchen floor because we have so many cracked tiles. I can live with the aesthetics of that, but when the broken pieces start to come up and bite the feet, it's time to say goodbye to the tile I have absolutely loved having. It's too much work, and money, to replace it with tile again, so we are doing some waterproof wood-like fakey stuff that looks warm and homey, we hope. We are also replacing the carpet in two of the bedrooms with fake wood. But paint, oh dear, picking the colors! Jon chose rather quickly, but I thought Char and Cam would NEVER agree. But they did. I also got some paint, the paint I have been drooling over, Sherwin Williams Sea Salt, a quart of enamel for the door, I LOVE it. I'll take a pic tomorrow. I'm going to paint the front door, too.

Anyway, the days are busy. Busy enough. Joseph and Beth stopped by this evening for a few things from his room. The girls are really antsy to get moved in. Joe says he'll be moved out by next week. I don't mind, ha.

Well, four daughters just came in the door....

3 comments:

Carol said...

I have been thinking about apple pie but just have not found the energy to make it yet. I have paint to paint with also but again have not found the energy to do it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great couple of days. Jon...I somehow totally missed him growing up or did it just happen overnight. i cannot believe what a handsome young man he's become so quickly.
I love your blog, just the way it is. The more text the better. If there are photos, great, if there aren't then your words sure make up for it and I don't miss them. It's Your blog. Don't change a thing.

Simone

Michelle in FL said...

Apple pie- yum! Everything you bake looks so good! As for diet, I've found that I actually stick to healthy eating better if I allow myself some "less healthy" foods about 2 days a week. ;)