summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, March 9, 2023

happy happy happy...

 anniversary to us!  Paul and I have been married for 39 years today.


I was so young, 18 years old...a twelve dollar dress, borrowed shoes....a Friday night wedding ceremony Paul's mom's living room, then a whirlwind honeymoon:  one night at the Holiday Inn, one at the Red Roof Inn, then back to work on Monday morning.  We didn't actually go on a honeymoon trip until 26 years later, when Camille was two...five glorious days in Jamaica.
We took some weekends away through the years, this is at Watkins Glen a few years back.


He's clever, he got these last night, hid them, and when I woke up bright and early, they were in the vase!

It's been busy here, and exciting.  Miss Kathryn Grace had the baby!  Jamison Jack was born yesterday morning, and I got to go see him at the hospital last evening.  He's home already, Darius came and picked up Rhys and Achilles...now it's just Wulf and Tennyson here.

Camille showed them a picture of their new baby brother!



Such joy.

Wulf, and some of Jonathan's old Nerf supply.
Achilles
I brought these Tennyson and Wulf for a little walk after Rhys and Achilles left.  But the wind was cold, so it was a short walk.  Grandpa got out the car ramp, Tenny likes it.

Not too long ago, I had my hands full on a regular basis.  These kids were our youngest seven, on a little trip to the cemetery to visit baby Robert.  Camille, Charlotte Claire,  Jonathan, Sonja K., Suzanne, Evelyn, Kathryn....(ages 2 to 11)(Robert was in between Sonja and Jonathan)...in any case, they didn't seem very sad:)
Evelyn, Suzanne, Sonja, Jonathan, Char, and Cam, the youngest six...oh, how time flies.  (Suze...so glum...she apparently wanted to go to Chinese...and apparently we did...)

Wulf is playing an assortment of things that aren't actually toys, a light up training wheel, a plastic golf ball, a screwdriver...Sunny is very interested in the light-up training wheel, so she's following him intently.  Tennyson is all tucked into a nappy-nap.  

Diapers and sippy cups, bottles, pretzels, crackers, pull ups and helping little ones in the bathroom, pancakes with sprinkles, making heart shaped waffles, cold coffee,  Duplos and Nerf bullets and Matchbox cars underfoot...it's old hat.  Familiar territory, in my groove.  

Rhys still wakes up in the night, last night twice.  The first time I changed her diaper, gave her a bottle, cuddled her a little, and put her back to bed.  Since I'm old, when I climbed so gratefully back into my warm bed, all comfy with the flannel sheets, I was WIDE AWAKE.  Wide awake when you're old means:  you feel every ache and pain.  You can't find a position that's fully pain free, on one side the hip aches, on the other the arm falls asleep, on the back, snoring!  You try, and try again, and you think about things, and you pray for your kids and their kids and your friends, and you wonder if your first grade teacher can possibly still be alive, and if the stock market is REALLY going to crash in a matter of days, and how could the Murdaugh guy actually do something so horrible.  

The second time she woke up, out of bed I got, and of all the things in this world, why is it so hard to be wakened from a sound sleep, jarred from dreamland?  Getting up, feet onto the cold floor, but...I gathered another diaper, got the milk ready....but she was quiet...hmm....should I go back to bed? Will I just be awakened again in five minutes?  Oh, that bed, yes, back to bed.  I woke up at seven-twenty and she was still asleep!  

I did think to myself, I'm too old for this!  Then I thought, nonsense.  I'm just a complainer. It's FINE.  But shh, it IS hard when you can't fall back to sleep!  The flip side is:  I can totally commiserate with tired new moms, like Kathryn. 

It's hard to miss pool days.  It's hard to claim those times, because when I'm asked to help, I want to help. Finding the balance, and hanging on to my pool times is challenging, but I'm going to work on it. It's not a WANT, it's a NEED.  It helps that I totally enjoy it.

I have chicken breast in the refrigerator, and a bag of stuffing the pantry...I'm thinking to season and roast the chicken on top of stuffing, and serve with veggies...or, I have more cauliflower rice, I could make Asian chicken...hmmm.  wow, I almost feel like I could take a nap....

Anne, I love love love your nursing posts!  I'm going back to read them again.  I am not a nurse, but four of the kids are nurses (well, one an NP), and one almost done with nursing school, oh I've heard the stories, and know how very difficult it is:  understaffed, terrible patient ratios, no lunch breaks, overworked.  I plan to share them with Miss Sonja, my nursing student daughter, when she's a bit more relaxed...she's studying, again, for a big test, again...she got a 92 on the last one, she's doing well, but it's hard. I cannot tell you how touched I am that you thought of her!  Thank you.










11 comments:

Terri D said...

Wow!! Congrats on the anniversary AND on another little one!! I don't know how you do all that you do... and it's okay to take a nap!! xo

Mari said...

Such an exciting post! Happy Anniversary to you and Paul! You were a beautiful bride.
And congrats on the new grandbaby. He's adorable and I really like his name.

joeks said...

Congratulations on your anniversary! We're just one year ahead of you, with a reception planned this weekend to mark our 40th. How did that happen? Many of our friends have already or will be celebrating 50, but we were slow starters, with me being in my late 20s and hubby in his mid-thirties when we met and married about a year later! :D
Also congratulations to all for the blessing of another grandchild! Our number 9 arrived in December.

Marilyn said...

Hi Della 😊

So a new little baby to cuddle and love. Achilles and Rhys look overjoyed!! How lovely 😊

Happy Anniversary to you both. Oh Della you look so gorgeous and so young 🥰 39 years is quite an accomplishment I think. And such beautiful flowers from Paul. So thoughtful.

The pictures of you kids from years gone by are great. I think Cam was 5-6 when I started to follow your blog. Just little.

Keep up with the pool!! You can do it 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

Have a good day tomorrow…..Friday already.

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Kristi said...

With all your new additions, I was thinking, It is a real possibility that you could end up with a 75-100 grandkids without too much trouble. Does that hit you sometimes? I'm hoping to get a couple from my two and just can't imagine. It multiples fast.

Kristi said...

I was thinking about your growing family, you could hit 75-100 grandkids pretty quickly. It's crazy how fast that could happen. I'm hoping for a couple from my two, but not holding my breath.

Anonymous said...

A new baby, nothing like it…
Enjoy every day with those grandchildren because even they grow up fast. My oldest grandchild is 22 and youngest 4.

Hope you can get to the pool. It is important that we set some boundaries. My girls at home insist that I do that and I appreciate it. They know my favorite morning is Ladies Bible study and they make sure I am always free to go. It’s a breathe of fresh air and helps equip me for the rest of the week.

Enjoy your day
Judy

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary and happy new baby in the family! So precious are both of those 🥰
Valerie

Billie Jo said...

Happy and Blessed Anniversary to you and your man!!!! Beautiful then. Beautiful now. What a wonderful, lovely family you two created. Hugs!

16 blessings'mom said...

Terri, I never did take that nap, but after waking up two nights in a row with Rhys, that next night, ahh, I did sleep well, and that's always a welcome treat. Mari, thank you! I like the name too. Joeks, Happy 40th anniversary! And congrats on your new grand baby, they're so precious. Marilyn, going to the pool: now that I've started going back, it's hard to miss it, knowing how much better I feel when I go...so I'm going to really try to make it there when I can. And how the years fly, I started this blog when I was pregnant for Camille, she's 15 and a half. Kristi, that's an overwhelming thought, ha. Judy, your girls are very wise, and very kind. My kids are also respectful of my pool time, as I think they realize that I haven't taken much time for myself through the years, and I need this. Glad you're blessed with such sweet daughters. Valerie, yes indeed! Billie Jo, thank you!!!

Anne H said...

Congrats on your anniversary! Lovely life.
Anne H