summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, March 2, 2023

oh yeah, cold coffee!

 Plans changed, and Margaret went to Buffalo for the new passport, instead of Washington, D.C.  

Yesterday, Kathryn came over with Achilles and Rhys.  Then Grace came with Grant and Ruth.  There was running, and there was noise, but there were hugs and smiles and plenty of laughing.  I order our dog chow from Walmart, partly because it's SO much easier to drag it into the door than it is to put it in the cart, lug it into the car, bring it in, ect., all for the same price...though I do feel kind of bad for the delivery people, 35 pound bags...but it comes in big nice boxes, for the grandkids to play in!  I put a few facing each other, drape a blanket over it, put some pillows and blankets inside, and they're happy...we have a little lantern, and a few flashlights, too.  

Anyway.  I made a nice chicken noodle stew yesterday, after dinner we headed to the pool.  Margaret and Adrian met us there with Wulf and Tennyson.  The water was cold, but we got used to it, they adjusted quickly and really had fun.  The showers were so nice and hot afterward, and we were all refreshed....Kathryn headed home, Grace headed home, but Margaret and Adrian brought their boys to our house, and settled them into bed...then left.  This fine morning, Margaret left bright and early to get her passport from Buffalo, Adrian had extremely early morning classes, and the boys woke up here...they slept in Camille's room.  Cam woke up to Wulf typing on her typewriter.  I tell you, there's nothing like small children, in the morning, in sweet warm jammies.  There's nothing like making pancakes with sprinkles for them.  Wulf helped, he cracked the egg, and mixed the batter.  Tenny just sat on the counter and tried to open the vanilla and get into the brown sugar.  

The day went by quickly as the house got messier.  Grandpa works in his office, our room, down the hall, and the boys visited him constantly. He loves them, and only had to shut the door a few times, when he had important calls.  Tennyson fell out of the toy shopping cart and banged his face, but other than that, nothing eventful.  No fights, no big messes, just the general toys-all-over thing.

Margaret came to get them a bit ago, the house is quiet again.  Paul is still working, Sonja is on a zoom call for school, and the girls are watching anime.  I have to wander into the kitchen and figure out what the heck to make for dinner.  Camille made peanut butter cookies today, I made my low-carb ones.  

Tomorrow, I'll go to my water aerobics class, then bring Camille to get bloodwork and chest x-ray, preparing for her upcoming knee surgery...we'll stop at Aldi too, as it's right across the street from her ortho-dr., and medical services building.  (she hates this fact, I love it).  

I think the girls are going to make a pizza for dinner, so I'll make something different for Paul and I, probably a few burgers.  There's such a dinner rut, but I'm trying to just be thankful for all that we have, and appreciate the meals, instead of always thinking there must be more variety, better meals. Paul and I are very low carb, he doesn't like pork AT ALL, then Sonja said she doesn't really like pork chops, Char either...so I backed off on making those.  We eat chicken, and ground beef, made different ways, mostly.  No one really likes meatloaf, so it's either burgers, taco salad, or meatballs.  With the chicken:  soup, stew, fajitas, pot pie, stir-fry, or battered fried chicken, usually Chinese food.  And, eggs for dinner, at least once a week.  In long ago days, I'd make scalloped potatoes, and such nice homemade Mac and cheese, but I won't eat those things unless I sub for cauliflower, except for a little taste.  

(I found a nice bag of individual bags of Asian cauliflower rice with ginger sauce and chopped peppers, Costco, cheap, and I LOVE it....)(Real rice is so yummy, but it drives up the blood sugar!)

We are picky and spoiled, that's all there is to it.  

Tonight I'll do some meal planning, so I won't feel so dilemma-ed.  

This afternoon has been a headache afternoon, I need to go take some ibuprofen.  I don't like taking stuff...but I'm super thankful that I have some, and have the option.  

We're getting more snow tomorrow afternoon, maybe a lot...but it's March, so...bring it!  Spring is just around the corner...well, here in NY state, several corners, as winter will keep coming back to visit, but somehow...it's losing it's scariness.  We're springing into more daylight soon, too...

  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We get the 40 lb bags of salt delivered for our softener - totally worth it!!
I had a headache yesterday, too, and woke up with it this am. A cup of coffee and some Excedrin migraine, and I am good so far. We'll see if it comes back. I hope this day finds you well!
Valerie

Marilyn said...

Hello πŸ‘‹

You have been busy! I feel like such a sloth compared to you. What fun to have all those little kidkets there all together!!! Oh my 😳😳 But some mums were there too so that helps.

I know what you mean by planning meals. The other night we had waffles with butter and a bit of maple syrup and blueberries and raspberries and 2 eggs each. It was just so yummy!! I always think we are so lucky to be able to eat anything we want. There’s so many people who are starving……even in our own country.

I hope you had a good time at the pool and everything went well for Camille 😊

Marilyn from Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Anonymous said...

I love the cauliflower rice!
Anne H