summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, September 22, 2023

flying...

 ...some people hate to fly, hate to travel.  Some love it.  Guess what? I love AND hate it!  I love the adventure, seeing all the different people and different places.  Hate:  walking long distances in a hurry, crowds, rules...the whole TSA debacle, ugh.  This fine morning, Paul had checked us in to our flights, but PreCheck didn't show up on my boarding pass.  (PreCheck itself is a huge-0 scam:  you pay $85 for five years of walking through security without taking off your shoes, jackets, sweaters,  or removing the liquids from your bags.).   One text to Riley, he added my known traveler number, and voila, I was all set.  

It sounds whiny, but you know, I have had a few bad experiences going through security.  I am just a Pat-Down magnet.  One of those pat down sessions, which I have written about before, was out and out abusive, I was totally humiliated.  The screen lit up in a very private place, that seemed to give that woman free license to lift my dress up, right over my round tummy, and pat down my...private place.  I did have leggings on, but I am old, and I am chubby, I do not wear leggings as pants.  This woman lifted my dress right up, right in front of the whole world of tired travelers, there was an officer just standing there watching.  I burst into tears, and protested the whole time.  She simply threatened, "A private screening can be arranged."  Um, if you do this to me in public, what would you do in private?  Oh dear.  

So going through security is always nerve-wracking for me.  It's better with PreCheck, but still, all the hurry hurry hurry, take this off, leave that in a container, put this here, don't lose your phone...sometimes even in PreCheck, they demand my phone...it needs to be "swiped", apparently.  Wiped down, tested for...something?  I don't mean to be dramatic, lots of these people are perfectly nice, but I do believe that the very nature of the job attracts some questionable characters, or does the nature of the job with it's small taste of power turn very nice people into unsavory characters?  hmm.

It's not like you can stand there and stomp your feet and ask to speak to the manager.  You don't like it, you don't fly.

But once we clear security, we get to wait for our flight, then file onto the plane, and relax in the soft comfy seat.  Not really, we fly economy.  At least I can buckle the seatbelt these days.    Camille and I have some healthy snacks packed, and she's bringing herself one of these:

We had eight ripe bananas...some have mini chocolate chips, not the ones Camille will choose.
And, one loaf of banana bread...

Cousins:  Denzel Alexander and Maeve Louise

 Lydia Eleanor with baby brother Denzel,  cousin Grant Thomas with baby sister Maeve.

This has been a busy day, but not really.  It took me all the live-long day to pack.  I had to wash clothes, then hmm, I should do a load of towels.  I washed the crock pot from last night's chicken stew, and the brownie pan.  I touched up my roots, shh.  

Then Camille, bless her heart, painted my toe nails for me.  

Just realized I never finished this post...oops.  


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you enjoy your stay in AZ! Your hair is pretty, what color/brand do you use? I have lightish brown hair going gray & trying to decide whether to go lighter or darker. I’m too cheap to have a hairdresser do it:)

Michelle in FL said...

That was me that just asked about the hair color. Accidentally commented as anonymous.

16 blessings'mom said...

I used Clairol Root Touch-Up in Dark Blonde, but I don't really like the way it colored the roots yet left them noticable. It's less than eight bucks at Target, but I think I prefer L'oriel, in Dark Blonde. I would like to switch back to light brown, one of these days. I never do my whole hair anymore, just the roots, I put conditioner on the rest of my hair first so I don't utterly ruin it all with too much dye, when I only want to do the roots anyway. I had the roots done once, along with highlights and a hair cut, at a salon, three plus years ago, it was WAY too expensive (I had a gift card, and it was still a lot extra), my hair hasn't really grown much since then, but the roots still manage to come in gray, harrumph. I enjoyed the experience, as I've only had salon haircuts twice before that (at SuperCuts or Costcutters), always did my own. But, I wouldn't pay that much again unless I won the lottery, and I never buy lottery cards, so boxed dye it is. :).

Marilyn said...

Hi Della!

First of all can you give me your email address again. I put it in a safe place and of course couldn’t find it, and tried to send you an email at what I thought I remembered 🙄 Not sure you got it. Anyway…………..

That was just so rude of that agent doing what she did to you!! Shocking really. How did she and others think this was ok?Awful…………

Are you staying for a week perhaps? How lovely. You will really enjoy the weather…….the nice thing is it’s always the same 😊 It’s hot though, isn’t it? My daughter was there in July for a day of so before she went over to Hawaii. She said it was 120 😳. Awful. Anyway I do hope you don’t see any frogs and snakes………..😬

Have a lovely holiday 🤗

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦