summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, September 11, 2023

mash-mash...

 I'm not going to try to summarize the last few days, all though I did try to summer-ize them ha.  The pool days are over, and I'm starting to grow up and realize that here in the northeast, it's not like half the year's winter, half is summer.  The colder months win by a mile.

The good things I've made lately:


Saturday was a quiet day here, I puttered around, and decided to make chicken pot pies for dinner.  But you cannot make those without adding a low calorie pumpkin!  Guess what?  No pumpkin! But wait, there's a big bag of apples!  

Yesterday was Ribs-in-the-Smoker Day.  I don't know why, but I just get a real kick out of making them.  Such little effort for such amazingly delicious bounty.  I didn't get a picture, but I made four full racks of ribs.  They were really really good.  We also had cornbread (made from a mix, but the kids discovered that you can put butter and honey on it, pop it in the microwave, and mmm.). I cut up carrots and celery, and made oven roasted red potatoes with fresh rosemary and parmesan cheese.  (they were REALLY good too)

Dessert:  brownies made in the copper As-Seen-On-TV pan that cuts them magically, my sister gave it to me a few years ago (I'm pretty sure she got it on sale, ha.)    I give it a nine out of ten.  The brownies were cut perfectly, they cooked nicely, the kids said they were good.  

Friday was spent doing errands with Abigail.  We got some lunch (Wendy's, the apple pecan salad with extra packets of spicy pecans, and grilled chicken).  We laughed our heads off and talked and caught up.  We went to Ollie's for some Activity Club things, and then to Aldi for some groceries...normal things, but so much nicer with Abigail.

This fine morning, I'm headed to water aerobics, then to pick up Anya, my oldest grandchild.  She is going to be baking something yummy with Camille today.  When I bring her home, I'll pick up my sister, we're going adventuring for her birthday.    

What is nicer than a dark gloomy morning?  Jonathan and his friend just left for work, Paul is at the gym, Sonja is at work, Charlotte Claire got on the school bus, and Miss Cam is still asleep.  The dogs have been fed and are sleepy.   There are things to do and places to go, but for right now, this is just perfect.  

Sonja's job is going well, but it would be easy to be torn apart by what she sees and deals with.  Children with burns, and children who aren't wanted, babies suffering, some who have been abused, some with curable ailments and surgeries, some with chronic conditions.  She's learning to cope with it all, to do her best.  I may be biased as her mother, but Sonja is truly a ray of sunshine.  She laughs and the joy is just contagious.  She makes life fun.   She's very smart and competent.  (of course she abides by HIPA, and does not tell us any specifics about any patients).   She starts working nights soon...

Miss Charlotte Claire is having a good start to school.  She gets out her stacks of textbooks and does her homework faithfully.  She likes learning.  Miss Camille is also doing well, she has all of Char's school stuff from last year.  :)

I haven't done any fall decorating yet.  I always think I'll keep it to the bare minimum, but ha, I tend to over do it.  Maybe not, this year.  I'm excited for the onset of the holiday season, but not for driving in the snow.  

AND:  lest we forget...today is the 22 year anniversary of a dark and scary day.  I remember Margaret, four years old, tugging my skirt, asking over and over again, "Didn't the bad guys care about the babies?  What about the babies and the kids?"  My father had called me, said, "Turn on the t.v., we're being attacked."  We had never had a tv, just gotten it a few years before that...I turned it on, and we were glued to it.  We had no idea what was going on, shock.  The only good thing that came of all that suffering and anguish was a deep unifying love for our country.  War:  fueled by greed, profit.  So much corruption in this world.  

Ah well...I'll finish my gloomy morning coffee, then get ready for swim class....Paul's home from the gym now...so bye, and have a really good day.   I'll leave you with a picture of my three youngest:


Camille Anaya, almost 16, Charlotte Claire 17, Sonja Kathleen 21 (Jonathan is 19 now...).  

No comments: