summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, March 19, 2024

the way things go....

 On Saturday, out and about with the girls, having a good old time returning something Camille had bought which was mislabeled (from a newish Amazon return store, it has great items, and an excellent return policy, but...it was kind of a pain that we got something she was so excited for, and it was the wrong thing...).  Anyway, Sam called me, quite upset, he was having plumbing issues, the drain in his basement backing up.  He wondered if they could come stay with us for a few days until it got fixed and cleaned up. Okay, we can do that.  

Sunday morning:  I got up at seven, because corned beef had to be put into the crockpot.  Three fit in, with some red skinned potatoes.  (Later, I put some of the juices in with water in the dutch oven, and stove top cooked the carrots and cabbage). (Later, I also put a fourth corned beef into the instant pot with a few more potatoes, and guess what was head and shoulders above in taste and texture?  yes, instant pot over crock pot for corned beef, any day!)

Anyway, Grant and Ruth woke up long before their mommy and daddy, so I made them pancakes with green sprinkles. They are so delightful, I always say that little kids bring life into the house.  Bacon frying, pancakes cooking, the old three ring circus...it was like the old days.  We had to get out the door for church, but we did it.  

There were around 25 of us total for our St. Patrick's Day meal...I made some quick cake mix cookies when we came in the door (a box of yellow Aldi cake mix, two eggs, half cup of melted butter, green sprinkles)...here are the pics, just a bunch of random shots...

Mr. Tennyson...
Evelyn brought mint ice cream and made shamrock shakes for everyone...Ruth liked hers.
The babies!  Jamison just turned one, the other three are August babies...Maeve, Blythe, and Denzel
Denzel is in the seat...he's so cute.
Hungry Hungry Hippos!

Rhys, Wulf, Ophelia, Sunny...
Kathryn and Darius with Rhys and Achilles
I asked Wulf to take some pictures for me...several were of the ceiling...this one of Darius and his little Jamie is nice though.
This one of his mama, Margaret, and me...
He took this of his Auntie Emily
The babies!  Notice Blythe?  

The pics are actually in the wrong order, the joyful landing-on-the-back pic was the last one:)
Aunt Evelyn is so nice to read to Achilles...that's me in the mirror...
Babies everywhere...and Wulf
Grandpa settles them down with some Bugs Bunny...

The kitty likes Suri's new bed...
We haven't gotten rid of the old one yet...
This is where Jon and his friend Matt slept while in the Everglades...crazy boys.
Grant!
Kathryn with Rhys and Ruth...


A trip to Costco with Grant and Ruth...:)

And they're awake this fine Tuesday morning...I made pancakes and sausages, and peeled some baby oranges.  They had pink milk, and they are happy.  They like the snow that's sparkling like it's a December morning, and not the second day of spring.  Their joy is contagious, and it's a good day.

Jon and his friend Matt went to Florida for the weekend, to see some alligators.  They did see some, and that's all I'm going to say about that, because if one of them actually caught one, that wouldn't be legal, now would it?  No, they did not keep it, nor bring it home.  

Ah well.  I have floors to vacuum and laundry to do, ha, as if I'm super busy today.  I'm not.  But shh, I'm lazy as the day is long...I have a book I'm wanting to get to, but grandchildren are too special, can't sit here reading a book and miss all the funny things they say and do.  (the book:  A Spool of Blue Thread, Anne Tyler, I've read it before, she's just so good...)

Have a really good day, maybe some day when there's not so much activity here, I'll write about something a bit deeper...:)

5 comments:

Mari said...

You had a grand St Patricks day! Do you know I've never had actual corned beef? We had corned beef buns made with the canned corned beef. Good but not really authentic... :)

Terri D said...

I love all the photos of the littles and still marvel at you energy and stamina. I was worn out after two days with a six year old. You are amazing!

Anonymous said...

How are your wood floors with all the babies on them? I see some rugs and doggie beds. How often do you have to clean them? We have wood floors but no more babies. I think when the grandbabies come I will want some rugs...
Valerie

16 blessings'mom said...

Mari, I don't remember having it while growing up, except for the canned stuff, and canned corned beef hash, which I loved fried up with eggs. I really like a good corned beef brisket, the instant pot made it SO tender and good. Terri, I hear you, it's tiring! I simply don't understand how I did it for all those years. Phew. Valerie, the babies are fine on the floors so far, I vacuum every day and mop here and there. We have one rug over in the play area, but they automatically scoot towards the edge ha. Our old kitchen floor was absolutely off limits to babies, with all the cracks! Now we have nice smooth floors...I do love them.

Billie Jo said...

Hello, my friend. Your children had an absolutely wonderful childhood, and now they are giving their children the same, and it is all because of you! Your family is beautiful. Happy Spring!