summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, March 22, 2008

we had fun yesterday

I am a cheapskate. I love bargains. My kids do, too. Two of the little girls have birthday money, and didn't spend it on sandals because they were too expensive. The 10 year old said she would wait until they get marked down. My other daughter came to me in Target with 3 shirts from the 75% off rack, and when I looked at them I noticed one was only marked %50 off, and almost said to put it back....then I looked at her sweet face, and thought, "What is wrong with me?" ....I think there could probably be no such thing as a rich, wealthy mother with 16 kids. Because she would spend all her money, gladly, on her kids. I don't like to say no, and even when things are dirt cheap, it all adds up.... I saw some nice sweaters in Old Navy a few months ago, regular $24.50, on sale for $11.99.....tempted, vaguely, but way too expensive. Yesterday, I got one for Suzanne, Sonja, and Charlotte Claire for $4.49, and $3.49....

If you want to have some fun, take 6 or 8 little girls to Target (or Wal-Mart, Sears, K-Mart, or even Pay-less if you are really up for some fun), to the shoe department. I guarantee at least 2 of them will start saying their shoes are too small, and 2 more will say they need new sneakers for gym, and a few more will say that I promised them new shoes....which I of course don't remember....but no matter what, their shoes will start flying off, and they will be all talking at once, and asking if I think they fit, even Jon had his boots off, trying on sandals. Okay, lets start with him, as I have a fussy baby on my shoulder (Ab was off with Marg, and Aaron, Molly and Sam were looking at MP3 players)...so I was with all the little ones...and Jon wanted sandals. He didn't want the ones for $8.99, but I thought they fit will, and would be comfortable. He liked some $13 ones...I told him they would hurt his feet. He insisted on trying them on, and grabbed a pair 4 sizes too small. So I let him try them on. He conceded that I was right....and contentedly carried away ..charlotte jus t felll

1 comment:

Jessica said...

It's nice to see someone who has the same frame of mind that I do regarding what is really a bargain! And it's great that you are passing that on to your children. When my daughter sees something she likes in the store, she always asks "Is this cheap enough?" They really catch everything, don't they?