summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

wednesday morning

I wrote a long, interesting post yesterday, and somehow deleted it. I DID go shopping on Monday, it was sunny and cold, without wind and snow. Molly really needed a new winter coat, and we all know it's the best time of year to buy one, if any can be found. So Mariel, 18, knowing the importance of our mission, really blessed me: she offered to stay home and baby-sit AND make dinner! So off we went, Molly, 14, Margaret, 11, Camille, 4 months, and me, the young and beautiful mom. Kohls, clearance racks. Some $200 later, we were finished. 4 winter coats, 2 shirts for Kathryn, 2 for Evelyn, 2 for Molly, 3 for Margaret, 2 for Charlotte Claire, 3 for Jon, 3 outfits for Camille....and a Barbie as the Island Princess bride/Ken-groom set for Sonja K.'s birthday. Not too bad, but still, a lot of money.....but I must admit-it was fun!!! We went to Wegmans afterward for groceries.....Just one cart-full, $150.......Eggs, bread, and juice have gone up so much. And milk. I stay away from processed food, unless really cheap, and just occasionally. I buy alot of chicken, healthy and cheap. I also bought a ham, on sale for Easter. I try to keep fresh fruit and veges in the house, bananas, apples, baby carrots, at least. Not easy, as they eat them up.....

I am going to see a dr. about my knee tomorrow. It is so depressing to be in such bad shape. I was hopeful of the future, we are buying and eliptical, etc. But this knee thing: it hurts, I can barely walk. I hurt it doing excercises, leg lifts...it feels like the bones don't line up right. I'm like, "Okay God, you have to help me here, I have to take care of these kids and this house, I need to be able to walk...." So I hobble around, stepping over toys and trying not to scream...I just hope it's something treatable.

Dinner: tonight, chicken breast, asparagus, potatoes. Table: doesn't quite fit us all. When we are all here, there are 16 at the table, one in the high chair, and one in my arms. The little girls fight over who sits in the one bar stool at the counter. But dinner is a very special time. We have some interesting conversations, and lots of fun. It is extremely important, we think, to stay in touch with each other, and practically speaking, it helps us teach manners. No elbows on the table, don't talk with food in your mouth, don't reach, say please, use a napkin, not your sleeve.....etc....stay in your seat until your excused, and it you're little enough, until you're washed...I always say that just because there are alot of kids, doesn't mean they have to be slobs. I am proud of my kids because I can bring them places, and they know how to be neat and polite. One thing I hate: kids taking too much food and wasting it. I encourage them to just take a little, and eat it all. Then, if they want more, go ahead. If they get full, or don't like something, no big deal. I encourage them to eat it, but dinner time is a GOOD time, not a time for battles. I don't like everything, neither do they.

blah, blah, blah, that's what my dad used to say.

No comments: