summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

to the airport

I brought lucky Aaron and his nice generous big sister, Emily-the-nurse, to the airport today. They are flying to England. They're staying in a hostel, in Manchester, and taking a day in London. Emily has always been a voracious reader....she apparently fell in love with Wales when she was a child, and has always wanted to go there, from reading so many books that took place there. Since nurses get decent pay, and she still lives at home, she can afford to go there. It may seem strange for a 23 year old girl to travel with her 15 year old brother, but Aaron is such a nice kid. Paul has been calling him, "Traveling Buddy" for weeks now. Aaron has spent countless hours researching what they should do there, and studying the roadmaps so they won't get lost. I told him to take pictures of Emily driving on the "wrong" side of the road. On the way to the airport, she wanted me to drive in the passing lane so she could pretend.....

She may be 23 years old, but on the way to the airport, I asked her if she packed any ibuprofen...no? How about something for like pepto-bismol? no? Well, good thing we have time to stop at the dollar store! What would they do without their mother?

I couldn't drive 45 minutes (one way) , and just turn around and come back home! No sir, I had to get my gas money's worth. We went to a different Target, and got some good stuff....a winter jacket for Jon for $8.74....some adorable tights for the girls for next winter....and a few pairs of shorts for the kids for soccer for FULL PRICE, ouch...oh well. Then we went to the grocery store AGAIN, we were just there on Friday....we needed some apples and bananas, and bread and milk and orange juice.....$84 and two free ballons later, we were on the way home. We made sandwiches in the van, and then stopped for gas....I had $1.70 off per gallon for spending so much at the grocery store...so I got 20 gallons for $39.....then, finally home....and as soon as I walked in the door, I regretted not doing more before I left this morning...but did you ever try to get out the door at 9:30 am with two travelers, and 5 little kids, including a nursing baby? I tried not to leave a trail....after Charlotte Claire and Camille got tucked into bed, I did some laundry and swept the floor...and here I am. All the school kids are home now, and I have to think about dinner.

I think car-carts are more a curse than a blessing. Jon wouldn't think of a shopping trip without one....and of course Charlotte Claire wants in, too. Jon just stays in there like a good boy, but she: gets out everytime the cart stops. And when she gets out, she dances around, and if the cart starts going before she gets a chance to get back in, she shrieks...And today, Camille was very tired. She had just fallen asleep in her car-seat when we arrived at the store...so I carried the carseat in, and she woke up. And fussed. She wanted to be carried. So, I carried her with one hand, pushed the cart with the other, and turned around every 2 minutes to remind Margaret (she was pushing the car-car cart) not to run into me. After we went through the check-out, I gave Camille to Kathryn while I held the balloons and helped Jon into his coat, and Margaret held the wiggly Charlotte Claire....The front-end manager came by and said she was glad I got some balloons. "I was a good girl", I said. "You are a good girl, you are a saint", she said. Well, it was nice of her to say so, but I know the truth. It's a fight to be good, and be patient. But I do love going "bye-bye" with my kids. We took the long way home, so we could see the dam on the river, Jon loves it. Charlotte just loves going places. She gets wind of going, and she says, "carseat, carseat"....

I was supposed to make lasagna for dinner tonight, oops....too late now. Maybe spaghetti and meatballs....I suppose I should get my lazy rear out of this chair and start cooking. My kids are outside playing, they absolutely love it there. It is chilly out, but sunny. They have so much energy, they just ride their bikes and jump on that trampoline. If I could clone myself, one of me would go out there, too. And one would go throw those clothes in the dryer....and one would go get in bed with my book....and a cup of tea.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

What a joy Emily must be to you. And how considerate to take her brother along on such a special trip. My 6 year old daughter asked if she could live with us still when she's in her twenties and help by going to the grocery store for me. It made me think of your family, how you talk about Emily. You are such a great example of a family just loving each other.