summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, June 20, 2010

happy fathers' day, paul....

Today we went to visit Paul's parents, to wish his dad a Happy Father's Day. Emily was heading to work, Mirielle went on a run, and Aaron was working at McDonalds, but the other 13 went with us. I think Gramma and Grampa were pleased to see everyone. We hung around outside, and Camille wanted to go in the house. She doesn't see too many other houses, and she wouldn't stop saying that she was really cold, and she needed to go in. It was 85 degrees out, and sunny, so we didn't buy it. Finally I was nice and asked her if she had to go pee, and because she is no dummy, she jumped up and down and said she did have to go, she had to go bad!

I had parboiled chicken ths morning, and left it marinating in Cornell sauce in the 'fridge all day, then put it on the grill to sizzle up at dinner time....we had salt potatoes (tiny baby potatoes boiled with lots of salt, one pound for every four pounds of spuds....they are SO good), watermelon, and a salad with carrots and radishes and peppers and tomatoes....it was nice to have so many of the kids here. We ate out on the deck, it was deliciously pleasant out there. For some reason, and I don't want to speak too soon, but the mosquitoes have not been very bad this year. It makes such a difference....

Tomorrow Camille goes in to get her cast off. She will get the leg x-rayed, then if it has healed properly, she will be all set. Hopefully, that will be the case. I would hate to see her have to get another cast. I won't be lonely at her appointment, either. Kathryn is done with school and is going to help...and Evelyn really wants to go with us, and is doing nothing in school...and Sonja has a field trip from the school into town for ice cream, and doesn't really want to go, and Jonathan really wants to see the cast taken off...and we can't leave Charlotte Claire home, so it will be six kids, and me. Mirielle will be helping out at school, helping her cousin Katie, who is the French teacher, give the proficiency test. Mali might go with us too....

Then in the evening I have to take Samuel James shopping for sneakers....he has been telling me for quite some time that he needed some before he goes to Norway....and he is leaving on Tuesday. With Aaron. For a month. And Mirielle is leaving for Toronto on Thursday. For the summer. But we won't be too lonely here. Two Norwegian girls will be staying at Emily and Abigail's apartment for 16 days, and since they work, we will be taking the girls to the beach, and maybe shopping....and Margaret's friend Renee from Detroit might come visit again.....for at least two weeks....and my sister's grand daughter Grace might come to visit us....

Tomorrow is the first day of summer. I hope to make it a nice and relaxing and fun summer for the kids. I was feeling a bit guilty about how Paul works so hard and I am home going swimming and lying in the sun and thinking up adventures....then I realized it IS important what I do. I am sowing God's word into the kids as we play, I am the Recreation Director, yet it is not all play...even though it is much easier to run this place than it used to be, now that the youngest is two, there is still quite a workload. I like to have them all pitch in and get the work done in the mornings so we have the days for doing what we like. Of course every meal is work, and for the Mom, it isn't just all fun and games.....still clothes to wash and groceries to buy. But still...summertime is sweet. I love it SO much.

No comments: