summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, August 8, 2010

mom, can I have this cucumber?

Can you open these fruit snacks? But Mom, I'm starving, I never had lunch!

And so it goes. Our lunch, admittedly, was rather snacky. Margaret likes to make these iced coffee drinks in the nice disposable take-out style foam cups with lids (which of course we wash and re-use), so we joined her and cut the angel food cake, added frosting and sprinkles, plus they had some bubble-gum flavored Poprocks.....two packets to split between I-don't-know-how-many kids.....so no, I guess we didn't really have lunch. And it IS almost dinner time....but jeepers, kids, wait for me, I will make something good!!

Evelyn just made herself a sandwich, and Suze just appeared with a plate of sugar cinnamon toast. rrr. But I do not blame them, I know it is because I do not put my foot down.

Besides, I am forever in Evelyn's debt. She cleaned Suzanne, Sonja, and Jonathan's room. It gets so messy so fast.....last time we cleaned it exremely well, I tried o keep it up, but somehow it got away from us again. Evelyn is an excellent room cleaner. She doesn't cut corners, and she rarely loses patience with her siblings who don't co-operate. I was sort of helping, throwing in a load of laundry, and Camille was following me around, wanting me to sit down with her....she got extremely agitated....so I took her into my room and snuggled up on the bed with her for a bit. And, you guessed it, I fell asleep, she didn't. In fact, I fell asleep at least 5 times, awakened by her humming and petting my hair and rolling around......I finally asked her if she was ready to get up now, and YES, she was....blah. I didn't really want a nap, but jeepers....Joe was mowing the lawn, too....I love dozing with the mower going.

So now it is dinner time. I actually have a plan! Leftover steak, cut and sauteed in olive oil and pepper, served on tortillas with peppers and onions and maybe some diced tomatoes. But more and more kids are appearing with that catchy cinnamon toast. (which sounds pretty good right about now)

Well, I am getting hungry.....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My four year old is ALWAYS either hungry or thirsty or both. LOL...I'm convinced that she just likes to keep us busy and running at her command :) Enjoy the rest of your summer.
-Joy

Kate said...

Oh this is great - been there!