summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, August 20, 2010

wah, to the airport today...

Aaron and Mali went to work in their cute little McDonald's uniforms, I have tried to get a picture of the two of them but NO, they say....MOM, they say.....but I haven't totally given up.

Anyways, I have to drive my husband to the airport today. He will only be gone for like sixteen days, but still. It is a long time for me to manage everything on my own, and I feel sad, like he is going to a party I wasn't invited to.

I have lots of kids asking to go to the airport. I would rather take the minivan, but if too many want to go, I will just take the big monster van. Since I am driving so far and will be down where all the stores are, I am planning a small grocery store trip. I can feel a headache coming on!

Not really. I am still naive enough to be excited by a trip in the van with all the kids...

Sometimes I do this thing where I count up the kids and and make sure I know where they all are. Wait, did I say "sometimes"? I actually do it ALL of the TIME. Yesterday I found myself swimming around in the pool, shooting Sonja, who was floating on the new floatie, with a Super Soaker, adding up where they all were.....six were swimming with me....Em was with Aaron and Mali and Jon in the small city...Abigail was at work. Benjamin was with his new girlfriend. Mirielle in Toronto. Joseph was playing his guitar. Samuel was on a walk/run. Margaret was playing the piano. Kathryn, Evelyn, Suzanne, Sonja, Charlotte Claire, and Camille were in the pool with me....and that makes sixteen! This stands out to me because I was thinking of taking a family picture yesterday afternoon.....when I realized that - yes, everyone was coming for dinner EXCEPT Mirielle!

There were seventeen at the table last night, our friend (and nephew) Thomas couldn't make it the night before, so he came last night. And Ben came in late, so I won't count him. We had sweet corn. We cooked 39 ears, but had some leftover. I grilled chicken too, and we had some summer squash and zuchini. Then cookies and popsicles for dessert....and the best part: staying at the table long after the littler ones got washed up and went on their merry way, just talking and laughing and solving the world's problems....

Camille is totally and completely potty trained. She is even in undies at night now. And she did it all by herself!

Oh well, I am distracted, there are things going on around here.....

3 comments:

Mary Kate said...

I know what you mean about husbands going on business trips to exotic and exciting places.... Mine is scheduled to go to Singapore TWICE in the next 2 months for 10-14 days EACH TIME! "Wah" is right!

I'm sure it won't be as exciting as we think for either of our husbands, but you are right when you say it feels like they're going to a party and we weren't invited! What's that old saying? Something like, it's easier to be the one going than it is to be the one left behind. I feel like saying, "Don't leave me behind... with all these kids!" haha

Well, I'll just have to read your posts about how you're managing without him, and I'll learn from you! ;-)

Take care!

Martha said...

A baker's dozen times three equals 39. Yes? Where do you find sweet corn where they sell a baker's dozen? I must learn how to grow that stuff myself, it's getting too, too expensive!

I also once had a habit of counting children. It's a good way to keep track, though I normally only counted those who were supposed to be with me.

16 blessings'mom said...

MaryKate, it just ain't fair, but the grass is always greener I guess. It makes me want to do fun fun things while he is gone though, to make up for the party I am missing. And Martha, we happen to live down the road from the nicest lady named Mary, who has a little farm stand. She actually throws fourteen to a dozen once in a while. She charges $4 a dz this year, which adds up, but it is so good and so temporary.