summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I don't want to complain...but I will anyway....

Blah. That's my word for today. Yes, my kids are amazing. They served lunch and cleaned it up, visited me in my room numerous times while I read an entire library book in one session, and the house is still standing. Evelyn has dinner in the oven, we are being fancy tonight: beer-battered fish fillets, chicken strips, tater tots, and some extra fancy long green beans for the microwave. I am extremely hungry, having had only a few cookies for lunch. I have had pain today, much worse than I had anticipated. Perhaps it is because my tummy is not thin, rather quite...well, quite plump and smooshy...the incisions in it hurt like heck. I couldn't just sleep on my back, and lying on my side was horrid. I am due for more pain meds right about now, although it makes me a bit dizzy, I still need it.

yes, I have my complaints. Paul went to work at the Dome, which he wasn't supposed to. But he is a good guy, and there was need for one more volunteer. My brother-in-law, who does the sign-ups, tried very hard to get someone else, but everyone had plans, good reasons to stay home, ect. So I told Paul I would be fine, to just go. So off he went. He had a talk with the older girls, 15 and 13, and encouraged them to help me. So here we are.

I also have plenty of things to be thankful for...like our friends who came and picked up Jon for a few hours today, to play with his friend Toby. They dropped their daughter Hannah off here for my girls to play with, that is always special. I am thankful for all these kids, even with all their noise. They are so funny, and Evelyn is such a good girl to make dinner, and she is only 12 years old. They really are quite capable when it comes down to it. I have showed them my "owies" so they feel a bit sorry for me, and don't mind getting things for me.

Kathryn just programmed my new cell phone for me, why do these things come more naturally to my kids than to me? My old phone died last Friday, and it was hard to live without it. We went to the phone store in the mall, and the cheapest phone was fifty bucks. Um, no thanks. We ordered one online instead, for free, with our existing plan. I don't care about bells and whistles, I just need a phone to text Paul during the day to bug him at work.

Dinner is served, now this is the life! If only my poor incisions didn't hurt so badly! I did talk to the surgeon on the phone today, and he said it was perfectly normal. hmm. Okay. He said I should feel better and better each day, but if I didn't, to just call.

I can tell how loopy I am from those pain meds, I should probably not even write on here, I will read it later and say, "what was I thinking?!!"...

5 comments:

Kathyb1960 said...

I know how uncomfortable you are, but the best thing to do is get up and walk--as agonizing as it is to do. People have probably already told you this, but don't let the pain get ahead of you. Your body has to work harder to get past the pain before it can begin to heal. And the weight you gained, is probably from the swelling and/or the surgery. Don't let it get you down. Remember you may have a few bad days before you start having good days, but take your pain pills before the pain is a 10, and walk, but don't walk hunched over. It was so hard for me to walk upright (upright?) but I was told it's worse if you walk hunched over.

I'm sure you know that since you have kids taking medical classes, but I thought I'd add my .02 cents.

You are in my prayers. Hang in there!

mom of 7 said...

Im glad everything went good with your surgery:) your kids are so sweet to help you out, that shows how good of a mom you are. Ive been thinking of you and praying for you. By the way you look awesome for just having surgery, youre so pretty!
Rachel

Kim said...

Glad to hear things went well with your surgery. You will be so happy at how you will be able to eat and not worry about an attack.
Watch your incisions, I had a lot of pain in one in particular and it ended up getting pretty yucky. It wasn't healing and stayed open and drained really bad, as well as my belly button. It turned out that I was having a reaction to the stitches that were used. It took a good 8 weeks for those two areas to start healing and stop hurting.
Take it easy, even when you start feeling better don't over do it.
And don't be surprised if you feel worse tomorrow than you have. Always seems to be about the 3rd day after surgery you feel kind of yucko.
Feel better!
Kim in VA

Martha said...

Praying you sleep well tonight and feel better tomorrow.

jeanninewakefield said...

I'm sorry your having so much pain. But having the surgery is worth it, now you don't have to worry about watching what you eat because your afraid of having a gallbladder attack.

Stay ahead of the pain and take our pain medicine, it will help you recover faster and it's better than being miserable.