summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

who said this job was easy?

This morning I had to break Sonja's little heart. She was going to take the bus to Susan's house and help with those baby twins. She LOVES those babies. But, since Miss Camille woke Mama in the wee hours of the morning with those magical words, "I puked in my bed!", I decided it would not be be very loving of us to send Sonja over to be with the babies, since we obviously have this virus going around. She was NOT happy with me. She fussed and begged and cajoled, but I did not budge, firm in my mind that I had made the right decision. It won't hurt Sonja to wait a while until the sickness is out of the house before she goes and holds those tiny little sweeties.

It is not a popularity contest, being The Mom.

Good thing.

Because Sonja does not like my policies today.

So it is a dreary sort of day, the kind where it is just a tad bit too warm for snow, yet there are some flakes mixed with the rain. Kitty Kitten is sleeping in her spot, the back of the couch near the window. Camille stopped complaining how much her tummy hurt and fell asleep in the nest on the couch. Charlotte Claire got a third day off from school because I want her to be totally better before I send her back to kindergarten. Plus, her teacher sent her home some work. She is still sleeping. Rosie is sleeping in her cage. I would love to go back to bed, but Char will be getting up soon...or will she? hmm....

I gave Paul a new spatula for Valentine's Day. There used to be a spoof commercial on The Rush Limbaugh show on the radio which said, "What better way to say, "I Love You", than with a spatula from Spatula City." There IS something to be said for a good spatula. This one is a Farberware, very sharp and thin, yet won't scratch those pans. I also got him a 50 cent card and wrote a nice little note in it. Jonathan said to Daddy, "Maybe Mommy gave you money in your card." It struck me as hilarious, because why would I give Paul his own money? Then Jon said, "But it would just be your money she gave you!!" Then Paul said something really nice...he said, "No, it is Mommy's money too, she helps earn it." I really wanted to make a bad joke about how I earn it, but this is a family blog, and it was a family dinner, so I just smiled at him. ha.

Suze and I had a nice day together yesterday. We went to the hospital for my pre-admission testing, which was just blood pressure (112/68, yay!), and some bloodwork. Then her xray, which came out just fine. It is a tough call, when there is swelling and bruising, her finger looks broken. Anyway, we finished up at the hospital, put some gas in the van, went into BJ's for just a few things, then went to Panera for lunch, because Suzanne really wanted to. I think it is too expensive, but it is yummy. And I was more careful yesterday than the first time I went there, but I still chose the bread rather than the apple...I mean, fresh baguette with butter? Killer! I stuck with the salad this time, no dressing, and no panini. We did share a cinnamon bun, but Suze was so full from her chicken soup in a bread bowl, she couldn't finish her half. Can anyone guess who finished it for her? Gladly? blah.

Yes, I had fun with Suzanne. My sweet little girl, she is almost eleven years old. She is the fourth of the Five-Girls-In-A-Row-In-Five-Years. She can be so smart and know-it-all and just plain Too Cool For School around the house sometimes. But those times with me, she is just so glad to talk and be listened to, and she loves hearing about when I was little...so we had a grand old time, and it was totally worth the fifteen bucks for lunch.

Home...I did go in and exercise, yay me. Not that it is doing any good, but I won't get into that today, because I am holding on to hope that I will do better, and stay out of the chocolate. Last night was M&M Night. I had too many. Ten M&M's have 34 calories, so even twenty isn't all that bad. But I lost count, so that is REALLY BAD. I was Boss Of The Bag, not smart. They were so chocolate-y and good. I need to get back my former discipline, I do not need to eat this stuff. Not at all. I need to say NO, and get back into my groove. And I will! See, I just encouraged myself!

Okay, I'm back. Had to empty Camille's bowl, all the while being thankful that she is old enough to make it to the bowl, of course. Switched loads of laundry over, ignoring the noise in that laundry room - so many loads wanting to go in first! But no- barfy bedding takes priority this morning!

I am happy today. Happy that I am done with the dreaded monthly curse for another month (I hate it! Hate that it makes me feel so yucky and ugly and miserable and mean...although I promise I try not to just act the way that I feel....) I am happy that I have Charlotte Claire home from school today. Happy that, as far as I know, I don't have to go anywhere today. Happy that there is milk and bread, and plenty of fruits and veggies. (no, I do not know what is for dinner tonight...I am not THAT happy.) I am happy that I got the place cleaned up yesterday afternoon, so it is not an eyesore this fine morning, although it is by no means a Furniture Store Showroom.

There were only ten of us at the table for dinner last night. College kids still at college, a few girls at Susan's house, ect. We had taco salad, which was very yummy, especially because we had some black olives and red peppers. I don't eat mine with tortilla chips anymore, just lots of spinach and/or romaine. Not easy when we have those Tostito's Lime Chips.

Today is a More Coffee Day. I wish Sonja was here to get me another cup, ha. I know, I know, I am perfectly capable. Just perfectly lazy today.

Paul spoke with Benjamin yesterday. blah. I almost cried as he recounted his conversation. As with anything to do with the military, I am hesitant to write much here as far as details because I know the government monitors facebook (a wife up at Fort Drum wrote on facebook when her husband was returning from Afghanistan, and next thing you know, military police were knocking at her door, warning her.)....anyway, the place Ben is being sent is not a good place. The unit they are replacing took so many hits and had so many casualties...blah. I am working being at rest about Benjamin, but...it does not come natural to me. It is a fight. Ben is such a good kid in his big strong tough body. He is kind and sensitive, and he will be so scarred by what he is going to see as a combat medic. And that is not even going to the thoughts that want to nudge in and say, "IF he comes back...", because I will not think those thoughts. I can not. But they are there at the edge of my mind, wanting to come in...but, heck, he hasn't even left the States yet, so I will not waste any more time worrying about things there are no need to worry about.

And now I shall get moving again, perhaps brew another pot of half-caffeine coffee...

5 comments:

Martha said...

Ten M n M's have 34 calories? I think I found a new reason to love M n M's. Besides the fact that they have an M on them, of course. :)

Martha said...

How many calories are in ten Jelly Bellies?

16 blessings'mom said...

About 40, so stick with the M&M's if you are counting calories, ha. Peanut M&M's have more like ten calories each, but peanuts are healthy, right?

Martha said...

I quoted you on Facebook. :)

Kathyb1960 said...

I have a friend on FB whose Hubby is overseas. They talk about it all the time...he even posts notes from there. The only thing they can't talk about is the "exact" time he leaves the US to go, and then when they return, they can't talk about the "exact" time his plane will leave there and land at the base here. He's been overseas several times. I can't believe your friend got chewed out by the military police! WOW!

My friend's hubby prob gives too much info b/c we knew where he went when he left the US, where they stopped, and when he got there! Guess they have the military blocked from their FB page.

I don't mean to make light of anything, but it's just weird one branch would have different rules!

ALSO, I want to tell you that when you have your surgery, you WILL lose weight! Believe me, you will! I had an Emergency Appendectomy about 5 yrs ago, and I probably lost about 20 lbs in a few weeks! I hope you have luck with that! I will be keeping you in my prayers for sure!

God bless you guys! Benjamin is in my prayers!