summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, July 9, 2012

summer monday...why am I up so early!?

Well, because we have a puppy! I am just not destined to get sleep in this lifetime. Suri doesn't like when someone gets up and leaves for work, she whines and pouts. Paul went back to work today, and even though I so smartly stayed up 'til one a.m., I had to get up at seven to take Suri outside. I have taken her out three times this morning, but as far as I can see, she didn't leave any surprises around here on the floor. She is finally tired out and flopped down for a little nap. Which does sound good...

The weather forecast for this week is simply glorious. Today, high in the low eighties with low humidity. Sunny. The rest of the week is about the same. No rain on the horizon until at least the weekend. Thing is, we need rain here!

Tomorrow is my birthday, I shall be 47 years young. Which seems like a total joke, I know that is so cliche', saying how the years pass so quickly and "I don't feel old until I look in the mirror", and there is simply no way that number can apply to MY age. No way. I am like 21 tops. But there is one thing good about having been so overweight and unhealthy all these years, now I feel so good! Yes, I have aches and pains and am sore and stiff when I get up after sitting too long, but I am 64 pounds lighter than I was a little over a year ago, and it is wonderful! There is much more to lose, but still. I feel better.

Paul is taking me out to dinner tomorrow night. We will go somewhere up on Lake Ontario, and eat outside because it will be so nice.

Today, I have to call the vet to get Suri in for second puppy shots, and one of her eyes is all red. I also have to get Mali into the eye doctor. I also have to follow up on some calls I made about a pediatric dentist for Jonathan. I need to go get a seasonal dump permit so we can take care of some of the stuff we have accumulated under the deck. Since I am the Queen Of Procrastination, we shall see what I actually accomplish today.

And, I just remembered that Mirielle and I and Joseph and Aaron and Mali were talking about going to give blood today.

I want to go camping. Last year I missed out, because I was newly pregnant and didn't have a place to bring Rosie. Paul doesn't know when he will be able to go, as far as work goes, so we will have to wait to plan until he can find out when he can leave. Mali leaves for college in the middle of August, she is staying in the dorms this semester. Sam is working his county job until about then, and Mirielle, Joseph, and Aaron will be going back to college near the end of August. So, however it falls into place...I hope as many of them as possible can come for at least a few days.

One thing on my agenda this summer was to stay in the camper over at our church conference center for a few days. But, now we have Suri, and no pets are allowed there. Our friends had their puppy there last summer, as she was too little to stay home alone...but I hate to break the rules, ha.

Benjamin is doing all right. I haven't talked to him in a few days, but Ashley said he was extremely bummed out because one of the other companies took a bad hit, one dead, two with lost limbs, and several with shrapnel injuries. It makes him question many things, and he grieves not only for those poor guys, but because it could have been him or one of his close buddies.

Camille got her kindergarten teacher assignment: same teacher as Miss Charlotte Claire had last year, a very nice woman who totally got it when I explained how I like to have Miss Char home with me so often. Camille is so excited to go to school. I, on the other hand, think it is No Fair. I have been the central part of her little life, and I do not want to be cut out of the picture so abruptly for five days a week, all day long. No sir. Perhaps for one day a week, she could go and learn some things and make friends. But five days of getting home at 4:15 every day? How can my heart not break? She is my squishy little sweetie pie! The days have gone by too fast! Like my mother used to say, I wish I was a little birdie and I could go and look in the windows...I would go to school with her and see every little smile. I would get to watch her stick her thumb in her mouth when she got nervous, and see her reaction if anyone called her a baby. I would remind her not to wait too long to go pee. And who will explain what the lunch choices really are? Dang, I cannot do this....

She thinks kindergarten is All That and a Cup of Tea. She is looking forward to it immensely. If I chose not to send her, or to home school her, she would ever and ever feel ripped off.

But part of me is so resentful that those teachers have my kids all day and don't even realize what treasures they are.

Now I have made myself cry, so I will not think about these things and ruin this fine summer day. Jonathan says that "school" is a bad word during the summer anyway.

Maybe I will think about making those phone calls now....




















































5 comments:

Joni said...

Okay - there are a few things I like about living in Finland, after all. My baby would also have to start Kindergarten if we were still living in America. In Finland they go to Kindergarten during the year when they turn six. I also turn 47 in a few weeks ... and I totally understand your feeling of 'That number can't possibly apply to ME!!' :) Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that Camille is already going into kindergarten! But don't worry, as teachers we realize that every child is someone's treasure, which is why we chose our profession in the first place, work(ed) so hard to earn a spot and keep it, and feel lucky being able to spend our days with them in the classroom:-)

"Your oldest niece" :-) :-)

Kim Chrisman said...

Do they start kindergarten at 4? Or is Camille 5 already!! I've been reading your blog since right before she turned 2. Wow!

Blessings
Kim Chrisman

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

I can not believe you are going to be 47, you look yonger!

I am sorry for Ben, I know the effects that war has on someone.

He is with an infantry unit or am I wrong? That is even harder. Doing patrols and such.

I just posted a video on my facebook page (not sure if you are on there it is on my blog fan page) and it kind of makes light of the situation on the base that my husband was at last deployment.

Hugs and prayers for Ben and his fellow soldiers.

Grace said...

Happy Birthday to you!