summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, July 13, 2012

yes, it is friday, but can I please go back to bed?

I stayed up too late. Again. Way too late. The girls were watching, "Downton Abbey" dvds, and it is a darned good show. It was closer to one a.m. than midnight when I crawled into my comfy bed. At 5 o'clock in the morning, still a tad bit dark out, Suri decided she was lonely. She started to yip and bark, so I jumped out of bed, and took puppy outside to go to the potty. She had other plans, which included licking my face and wagging her whole body and eating grass and branches and smelling the whole yard. I tried not to respond to her, tried to convey the message that it Was Still Night Time. ha. I brought her back in, didn't feed her when she sat so nicely next to the Puppy Chow bag. I snuggled up on the couch, and when she jumped up to see me, I told her to Lie Down. She did. It was 5:45. At 6:15, Sam got up for work. blah. I told him I was awake, I would drive him and save him the five mile bike ride.

Home, took Suri out again, then drove Paul to work.

Home again. blah. I am tired.

I have tried to console myself that a lot of people are tired today. People with babies and people with lonely puppies, and people in wars, like Benjamin, who go on back-to-back patrols after sleeping only a few hours. Nurses and doctors are tired, and mommies and daddies are tired. Charlotte Claire is also tired, she got up fifty or so times last night for drinks and headaches and just to see what we were watching, and because there was a light outside that was bothering them. She woke up bright and early, too...but at least she sneaked out without waking Camille, she gets a gold medal for that.

In my seemingly never-ending battle against Eating Bad Things, I am renewing my commitment to clean eating. It isn't just calories, it is what is going into my body. I could be losing weight much quicker if I was more faithful, instead of dallying along getting sidetracked with things like last night's popcorn. blah! It isn't that popcorn is good or bad, but I don't need to eat in the evening, I had already had enough for the day. And...dinner was: a soft chocolate and vanilla twist ice cream cone, eaten at nice little place overlooking the lake.

The rest of the day besides the popcorn was fine...but still.

I don't regret the ice cream though. Besides the ice cream pie I had for my birthday, I don't eat ice cream at home anymore. It is the one indulgence I allow myself, except for some chocolate chips sometimes. Not that I don't eat other things, but I don't ALLOW them. make sense? It does to me. I simply refuse to feel guilty about the occasional ice cream because I always plan around it and eat good the rest of the day. But things like chocolate and too many almonds and the extra slice of bacon, or finishing off Camille's scrambled eggs and sausage when I have already finished mine...those things are my battle.

So more exercise and cleaner eating are my goals...ha, I thought I would have MORE time to exercise this summer. Today, it is the last thing I feel like doing. Perhaps I shall go back to bed, and try to make myself do it later.

Our camping plans are going forward for next week. This means a busy weekend of getting ready and packing. I want to take Suri, but will she behave in the tent, or will I wake up with a surprise on my pillow? Will she whine and wake all the kids? Will she be horrid and will I be exhausted? Or will she just be a little sweetie, no problem at all? hmm.

















1 comment:

WicketsMom said...

Our puppy did that too at first, up around 5:00 for potty, then again at 6:00-ish for breakfast. I joked that I was getting paid back for having a good sleeper (he'll sleep until noon if you let him and he's just five). She's better now, just up between 6:00 and 6:30 for food and potty. Puts her paws up on my side of the bed and does one little bark. Luckily we have a doggy-door and fenced in yard so I feed and go back to sleep.