summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

my monday post on tuesday....

No internet yesterday. After a long day of shopping with Margaret and Sonja K., then putting away groceries and serving snacks the kids, I sat down and thought I could write. Wrong. It was time to go to the church activity club roller skating party. Oops. So off we went. I had a cup of coffee for dinner, thank you Cheryl. (I made a can of soup for dinner when I got home, after resisting the fast food I got for a few of the kids, which I hate doing, but since I am such a good planner, that's just how it goes sometimes). Anyway. I didn't skate. I think it was a hidden blessing that my knee started acting up yesterday, because if I had skated, I would have fallen, and if I had fallen...I don't even want to think about it.

So yesterday went by in a busy blur. We went to try on some sneakers first, because Paul gave me a gift certificate that is only good online, so I have to get an idea what size/type sneaker to get first. Oh, it has been so long that I have needed new sneakers. I almost got some last summer, but bought the awning for camping instead. Anyway...I ended up getting a pair of Reeboks for Margaret for a really good price. Then to BJ's for almonds and peanut butter and jam and romaine and girl-y things (we should have bought stock in the Kotex company, imagine 8 of us here each month)....

Then to Target. Yes, I should just stay out of Target. But then Marg wouldn't have found her two new dresses for less than three bucks each. If you read this and you know Margaret, do not tell her I wrote this. I also bought a pair of Goal Jeans, size 14. It exciting that I can already get them on, but believe me, they do not flatter. I have a ways to go, but I so want to wear those jeans soon.

Then, Price Chopper, for oats and yogurt and detergent and popcorn kernels and bagels.

Then...home.

I used lots of coupons yesterday. Venus razor with four blades cartridges: regularly $6.99, on sale for $5.00, coupon: buy one get one free. Not bad.

Coupons do take time though. I usually don't eat the stuff coupons are for, but the shampoos and girl-y things (Stayfree, regularly $3.49, on sale for $2.00, coupon - buy one get one free.) I like to get nice things for the girls too, like the Neutrogena face wash that was so cheap after the coupon. It's better to watch for sales and use coupons to get the good stuff, than buy store brand deodorant/soaps/bodywashes/shampoo/toothpaste.

So....weight loss: I am losing my holiday gain. I am still 5.8 pounds over my absolute lowest (in the last two decades anyway). But I have found a truth: it is more satisfying to say NO than to eat junk and feel horrible afterward. Mentally and physically. When I am picking and tasting, there is no feeling of triumph. But when I stick to plan, eat clean, oh it feels nice. I can go to bed at night with no regrets about what I ate. I am hopeful again, that I can lose this weight! When I first started this whole thing, back when my goal was purely to get my blood pressure down and my heartburn gone, I was radical! And I lost 12 pound in the first five weeks. That is the kind of success I am striving for now.

I mean, the phrase, "Tomorrow Is Another Day", is helpful for when we slip up, it is no way to live!

Now I just hope my knee gets better. It is clicking everytime it bends. Every single step. It is the knee that locks alot, so I know it has issues. It drives me to want to lose this weight even more.

Mirielle left to go to Connecticut for a few days. College starts soon, but it's nice to have the older kids around without them having to study or be stressed about classes. Camille is home with me today. She went to school yesterday, and she roller skated last night...got to bed too late. She has this cold, and is so stuffy. She has been dragging this morning, watery eyes and feeling miserable. Poor girl. She has Suzanne's huge fuzzy polka-dotted robe on, and is so cuddly.

So today I have to make up for not being around much yesterday. The clean socks are on the couch...mostly matched. Charlotte Claire left her comforter out here, she brought it from her bed with her when I woke her up. (It just seems mean and un-natural to wake small children up from their warm cozy beds and send them out to school). Anyway, I have my work cut out for me today. Yet here I sit.










































1 comment:

Tereza said...

I totally relate to the feeling of it being unnatural dragging kids out of bed for school! And in BC its dark a LOT during the winter...we hardly get any sun.
Honestly I really wonder how you do all you do. I dread grocery shopping and appointments...they throw me way off and the house becomes a pig sty so fast. And coupons? Who has time to clip those?!! whats a regular no go out day like for you?