summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

winter wonderland....

The sun is peeking out now on the snow, which has turned the naked trees glistening white. It is cold out there, zero degrees farenheit. That is pretty cold. The wind has died down, so it doesn't seem as cold as it did yesterday, when it was ten degrees and windy.

I bundled up and shoveled a path for the younger kids so they could get to the bus. The snowplow so nicely filled the end of the driveway with almost a foot of heavy snow. The college kids had to get out of the driveway too, so I shoveled out the end of it for them, and made paths around the car. (Aaron said it was funny to look out the window and see me shovel, he said I shovel like I eat my corn on the cob, just randomly. I told him it is a mental illness, it's just how I roll, here there and everywhere.) Anyway, it was invigorating.

So, despite the fact that I am getting sick and tired of rallying myself to hang in here in the weight loss department, I shall do just that, and hang in here. I figure I can get sick and tired all I want, but I am not giving up. No looking back. I realized this morning that I need to be creative and keep myself motivated any way I can, or I will end up in the 95% of people who gain all their weight back + more. I will fight that will all I have, because I have gotten this taste of feeling better.

None of my old tricks work anymore. I no longer eat bread or potatoes, cookies or chips. But yesterday I ate two huge handfuls of chocolate chips with my afternoon coffee....I rationalized that hey, it's that time of the month, I NEED chocolate. ha. Back when I started this new lifestyle, I would have counted out ten or fifteen. I need that diligence back. Because it is the little things that add up. I am not just a normal person who can eat normal things anymore. If I do, I will re-gain.

I did fit in some exercise yesterday, and I shall again today. No "ifs and buts about it", as my mother used to say.

Of course I did make a double batch of chocolate chip cookies yesterday. I tasted just a little batter, just to see if it was as good as usual, and it was. Then I broke off one piece of cookie, and yes, it was chewy and melt in my mouth good. That's all I had. And they are gone already. phew. (It was cold in here and the kids wanted cookies...blah, I need to move out!)

We had a nice big pot of beef stew for dinner, and a huge pan of Pillsbury Grands biscuits. (they were on sale and I had a coupon). Guess what? Hardly any of them got eaten! Two of my girls eat gluten-free, and my boys just plain like to eat healthy stuff...I of course didn't eat any, although they smelled heavenly when I took them out of the oven.

Every once in a while I like to make some resolutions.

1. I will never ever say anything bad about anyone. At all, ever.

2. I will stay motivated, and think about ever single thing I eat.

3. I will think before I speak, use my nice voice, and be kind.

4. I will use my time unselfishly, to bless and be good. (but exercising is NOT selfish. It is the best thing I can give my kids...both in example, and outcome!)

5. I will work hard to keep the house as nicely as I can manage, because it makes it nice for the family...and I like the results.

6. I will start selling things on ebay.

7. I will get my sewing machine running.

8. I will match the socks.

9. I will be thankful. Oh man I find so many things to grump about, and I am quite certain that God HATES it.

And that's it for now.

It sounds simple, but for me it will most definitely be a suffering to accomplish those things. I not patient by nature. I am not organized. I am always hungry. I like my chair. I love to read books. I hate matching socks. I love putting off 'til tomorrow what I could easily do today. So I have my work cut out for me.

Notice I didn't vow to love my husband more? Ha, that's because THAT is easy. Well, some of the things he does are a bit irritating, but mostly he's easy to love. I am very lucky.





















4 comments:

Joni said...

Just a thought ... I can't say this would work, because I keep meaning to give this a whirl, but .. haven't yet! My hubby is working with a guy who says he and his wife lost weight (and have kept it off for some time) by only eating carbs in the morning and early afternoon. By dinner time, they only eat protein (and veggies)- also for snack in the evening. Shall we both try this? :)

16 blessings'mom said...

Joni, I am with you! I usually do that anyway for the most part, but...last night I had popcorn. But, today is a new day, and yes, I shall join you in this!

Joni said...

I have not remembered to come look at your response to my thought. Oh boy- it's not easy, is it?? How in the world do I learn that I can survive (and even still have a happy life! :) ) if I am not eating any carbs in the evening ... ? I have to say, I didn't think it'd be so challenging for me.

Anonymous said...

hehe! most of your resolutions sound like my thoughts.. and the reading and matching socks and the stupid cookie dough!!!! ;) :)