summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, May 12, 2016

a fairytale....


It's not getting old, being in France. We are really enjoying the time we have together.


We drove to Domfront last evening and explored the castle ruins...built in 1100.


The village across the way is like a fairytale setting.

We got our dinner from the grocery store again, we would rather explore the surrounding villages than sit in restaurants, so we had an on-the-road picnic again. Fresh baked bread, salami, cheese, lettuces, and Coke Zero...though we don't normally eat bread, heck...it's bakery bread in France.

Maybe some people travel all the time, and maybe I'm making too big a deal out of simply being here. But I don't care. I am absolutely and thoroughly enjoying it.

This fine morning, it's sprinkly and foggy and overcast. I set out with a purpose: to find that toy store! I searched for it yesterday on walk #3, and didn't find it. I did find a nice big store, and bought chocolate for home. And a little gift for Katie's baby (Davian is going to have a baby sister!!!!). But no toy store. So I checked google maps and found it this morning...and it was closed. Everything here is closed in the afternoons, and if they open again, they close by 7 p.m. But it was 9:30 in the morning! I walked back to town, turned around and checked again at 10:00, and it was still closed. Whatever. I went to the boulangerie...and yeah, there were a few pastries I wanted to try...I didn't get the eclairs though...ugh. They looked so good.

Anyway. I walked over seven miles average, each day for the last few days. And then today, my phone glitched and didn't record my steps! And, I couldn't take any pictures! I walked a different way and saw new cool things, too.

This is our last night here in this town. Tomorrow we head to our hotel in Paris. He will get out of work early, and we'll have the afternoon to explore. We were considering taking the train into the city, of Paris, but neither of us really like cities, and yes, I would like to say that I saw the Eiffel tower, but other than that? I don't know. We are leaning towards going to the cemetery, the American cemetery at Normandy. I think of all those soldiers buried there, and their mamas never got to come visit their graves, it's the least I can do, is go there and say a little thank you to them.

In a few days, I'll be back home, back in New York state, back to eating no bread, back to sweeping the floors every morning...I can't wait to see the kids, but...wah.

3 comments:

maureen said...

Paris is wonderful!! I went there in 2004, with my oldest son and my Mom. We went to the Louvre, it was okay...to the Musee D'Orsay, it was fantastic!! And stood under the Eiffel Tower, but did not go up. I wanted to leave something to come back to! My favorite thing though was the Palace of Versailles...the gardens are so beautiful!!! and on Sundays they pipe old fashioned baroque music over speakers all over the grounds and you can walk around and imagine what it would have been like to be there with Marie Antoinette! I love hearing about your trip! So glad you and Paul can enjoy it together!

We ate at a few restaurants in Paris, but my favorite meals were the supermarket kind that you are enjoying!! The cheese...just so much great cheese!!!

Au Revoir!
Maureen

Marilyn from Canada said...

I think you need to have one of those eclairs (did I spell that right??) while you are in France 😍 Have fun in Paris.........it is beautiful!

Marilyn from Canada

Tereza said...

just catching up on your blog. How wonderful you got to go! Enjoy!