summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, October 15, 2012

just a little post...

Since I will be leaving the house way too early tomorrow morning to get my broken tooth fixed, I shall write this evening instead. I was mean and asked my sister to take me to the small city...she is going in anyway, and everyone loves to take me to the dentist. I, however, hate taking me to the dentist. I would rather have a baby with no pain meds (which I have done, several times, thank you) than sit in a dentist chair.

Perhaps I will take a few ibuprofen with my oatmeal in the morning. Blah, I do wish I could fast-forward to Being Done. I have never had to have a crown put on, but this tooth is pretty severely broken, just a piece of it left, thanks to that almond I bit back in August. It isn't very painful, but sometimes it aches a little. A little lot. The dentist asked lots of questions about the pain level, because it is wise to do a root canal, if necessary, before the tooth is crowned. Root canal? Nah, doesn't hurt at all, doc.

To the pool we went this afternoon after getting home with groceries after the kids' dentist appt'. I had prepared dinner, which was a cheat-y version of lasagna: some nice meat sauce in a big baking dish with frozen cheese ravioli, topped with sauce and cheese. I asked three different people to put it in the oven while I was at the pool with Jon, Char, and Camille...oops, they forgot. Oh well. Turkey and cheese sandwiches for the little kids, some of the older ones microwaved some of the dish and said it was good. I had some of Emily's leftover chicken/rice soup and a rice cake with peanutbutter...followed by my last two Paleo pumpkin muffins. Swimming makes me too hungry.

I ate well today, considering. Considering that I said NO to a donut at Tim Horten's. .49 cents with every hot drink purchase...I just had coffee, thanks. Although I did want to beg just one bite of Sam's chocolate glazed. I didn't, and before I knew it, he had eaten the whole thing. I was going to crack open the bag of peanut M&M's on the way home from the store, even had the bag in my hand. Then I thought, "What am I doing?" I had a few sunflower seeds instead, and my trusty apple, which I try to never leave home without. Then I picked up a Hershey's miniture Special Dark, and put it back down. It isn't always easy, but it hasn't killed me yet to say no. I am learning that I feel worse when I say YES.

And Yes, I am a slow learner.

Benjamin's arrival date in the good old U.S. of A. has been moved back, he will be home later than we anticipated. I guess the lucky medics have to leave last. Makes sense. He is a good guy, my son Ben. He is practicing Being Thankful.

My poor 18 year old niece is back in the hospital, again, for possible kidney stones, again. She is running a fever too. She is a childhood cancer survivor, I am going to say aplastic anemia, but I might be wrong. She had a bone marrow transplant at the tender age of two, and her survival was against all odds. She has had a rough last few years medically. Please pray for her, and my brother and his wife, my friend Kim. Kim is the lucky one who gets to sleep in the hospital chair while solving all the problems at home via cell phone.

Makes me feel bad for complaining about something like a tooth being crowned. Kidney stones are notoriously painful, and she just had some blasted a few months ago, poor girl.

So on that note, I will go snuggle into my comfy bed and say lots of prayers, and practice being thankful too.























2 comments:

Chrissy in Chaos said...

Hi Della, in a previous era I worked for a dentist and can safely say that root canal is not as bad as it sounds. You are numb, and once the nerve end is gone there can't be any pain. It just takes a little longer because the canal is longer!

WicketsMom said...

Don't be too surprised if Benjamin's return date changes again (and again, and again). My brother did two tours of duty in Iraq and dates changed often on both ends of the tours. For the first tour, my other brother moved his wedding date up a few months so that our younger brother would be here for the wedding. As it turned out, his departure date ended up getting pushed back a couple of months after the original date.

Make sure when you do purchase airfare that it is on a carrier that it will be easy to change at the last minute if needed. (Southwest is probably the best for that. You do have to pay the difference in fare, but no change fee.)