summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, February 19, 2018

grocery store geek, sunshine, and more sunshine...

This fine morning, my mother-in-law and I went to the Publix for milk and eggs, strawberries and and and. We got supplies for tomorrow's trip to Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom, too. The girls all left for the pool while we were gone, so after the groceries were put away, down to the pool I went.

Now this place is a retirement community. Guests are allowed. But these people at the pool are all different degrees of OLD. Most are smiley and friendly, but there are always a few lemon suckers, scowling when they see the kids. This morning as I settled into my chair to join the girls, a resident informed us loudly, "Remember, no one under 18 is allowed in the hot tub. It's the rules." Why do some people love rules? And who made her queen? But I have been working hard on not judging people, and not getting offended, and my kids look to me, whether I realize it or not, whether THEY realize it or not, to set the tone, and so I behaved myself. I did remark quietly that I really and solemnly hope to not grow old and bitter against young people.

We waited until the Queen of the pool left before I brought them into the hot tub.

Here's the thing: My kids are thoughtful. They aren't going to jump into the pool and splash the ladies, and ruin their hair-do's. But I told the kids that those old people don't know this. They see kids, they think: trouble.

And here's another thing. Sometimes I forget that the world ain't all rainbows and puppydogs, and it hits me hard every time.

Suzanne, Camille, me, Evelyn, Charlotte Claire, Sonja, and Irene.


Anyway, I forget how things really are out in this big world. Today, for example, a lady at the pool motioned to all the girls lounging in the sun, and asked me if they were all mine. Well, no, I said, five of them are. "Five! You have FIVE girls?" Well, yes, I said, and then I added..."here with me anyway. There are a few more at home." Now, I should have just stopped there. I really should have. But no, I don't learn. She asked how MANY more. I told her there are eleven girls all together. She glanced at the lady a few chairs over and said, "Well, you have HER beat, she has six daughters." Wow, I said, that's nice! Isn't it fun! She agreed it is, but was looking at me like I had antlers. They kept repeating, ELEVEN DAUGHTERS. So...again, stupid me, had to go mention, "I have five sons thrown in there, too, just to make it interesting." Then I most definitely had antlers. The first lady looked right at me and said loudly, "You're crazy." Honest to God.

I simply told her, "No, it's fun, I love it." Then I swam away with Camille. The girls asked me afterwards why that lady called me crazy, they heard her all the way across the pool....

I guess everyone doesn't love big families.

We are having a good time here though. After a nice morning swim session, we headed back for some lunch, then back to the pool for some afternoon sunshine. We decided to go into town to a store we don't have up north. Evelyn and I didn't find anything for ourselves, but the other girls had some good luck, and it was fun. We also went to Publix again, ha, for a few more things for tomorrow...we got some drink pouches to freeze, they keep the turkey wraps cold and then we can drink them as they thaw. We have grapes, cucumber slices, plums, Sun-Chips, M&M's, granola bars, and peanut butter pretzels. We don't like to waste money on food at theme parks, ha.

Magic Kingdom!!! We have a few fast passes, and yes, we are going on Space Mountain! It's going to be hot, 86 and sunny...I will NOT complain about the heat. I will try to get some good pictures. I haven't been taking too many:)

We had burgers on the grill tonight, and these green beans that Grandma made, cooked with bacon, yummers. Sitting out on the porch, watching Winter Olympics with the warm breeze blowing through..it's not too shabby.

6 comments:

Véronique said...

You are definitely not crazy.
Enjoy your time in Florida and don't worry about what other people think of you.
Your life, your choices!

Anonymous said...

Why doesn't anyone ever say " you are so lucky" or "you have been blessed" or even "I'm so happy for you"... instead?

Enjoy the lively break.

Simone

Marilyn said...

Hi Della! What fun you are having..........people are funny aren’t they? And there’s always one in every crowd who’s too miserable for words. You have the best answers 😂 Enjoy your day!!

Marilyn from Canada

Susan said...

My goodness, I am always amazed how some folks feel so comfortable saying whatever they please, just no filter at all. You have gorgeous children and they are all intelligent, creative and most impressive (to me) is that they are so loving to each other. Most folks would be delighted to have one or two children with those qualities and you have 16!

Lisa said...

I agree with all the above!!

There seem to be two camps for the elderly bunch. One side acts like, "I raised my kids - I'm DONE - get them the heck out of my way!" and then the others who are so lonely and just thrive on having young people around, who truly enjoy them. Maybe some of the ones you ran into are from the first bunch! I tend to overshare as well (I never seem to learn!) but my favorite incident was when I walked into Target with 14 kids 16 and under (not all mine) and a older couple came straight up to me grabbed my arm and smiled saying, "Oh dear what do you do in your spare time?" They laughed at my started expression and said, "We have a dozen too!!". We just stood there laughing, blocking everyone else's way and that memory always brings a smile to my face. Being told you're crazy is kinda startling to me and I've felt quite shaken up by it at times (based on the delivery and the persons attitude). It always seems to amaze me how nasty some people can be too. I think some people are so miserable they feel the need to spread it around.

So glad you're having fun in the sun!!

Joybells said...

I agree with all of the above too! I would be happy and proud to be surrounded by such beautiful daughters full of positive energy and zest for life.

Joy from Salem