summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, February 18, 2018

hot hot hot...winter break!


Off we go!!! This was as we pulled out of the driveway on Friday.

Our trip down was very pleasant. We had some rain, but no snow. Our actual departure time was 12:30, after putting air in the tires and checking the oil. We stopped for coffee to start with, and we hit the road.

By about two in the morning, we were exhausted. I had only driven a few hours, but had been the co-pilot for Evelyn, and my eyes weren't co-operating anymore. I drove over the nobby stay-awake things on the edge of the road, and that was it, I had to find a place to park and zzzz for a few hours. Well, turn that van off, and everyone wakes up. The shuffling and snuffling were horrendous. Evelyn declared she was fit to drive more, so off we went again, with Camille, who had slept the most already, as co-pilot.

After a few hours, Ev was too tired to drive, so we parked again, and I turned on some white noise on my phone, and we all slept for a few hours. We hit our destination of the Marriott in Amelia Island by noon. The nice lady at the desk had a room ready for us, we changed, and headed to the beach. I do have beach pics, but I am too tired to download them tonight. Here's just one:

I actually forgot my phone at the hotel, so I had to steal this one from Irene.

The fog rolled in and the beach got chilly, so we walked back to the hotel...and we were hungry and tired. Pizza and wings? Yes. Early to bed, oh it was nice.

We had a super nice hotel breakfast, but the coffee was only so/so, so we stopped at Starbucks. :)

Four hours later, we were at Grandma's.

And then we were at the pool:)

Then we were having grilled hot dogs, corn on the cob, and pasta salad for dinner, thank you Grandma!

We watched some Olympics, the girls headed down to the pool and hot tub for a bit, but we are all tired again, no surprise there.

Tomorrow, high eighties and sunny...right now Cam and I are snuggled into bed, Cam reading a book, Char falling asleep on the floor, the other girls in the other room, and Grandma all settled in early too. It is very nice indeed...

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Hi Della..........glad you are there safe and sound in the nice warm weather. 🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞 Enjoy!!

Marilyn from Canada

Susan said...

I always love the travelogues!

An American Housewife said...

So glad you made it safe! I was thinking about you and the girls yesterday. I AM a bit jealous of the ocean/beach/80 degree thing but honestly you deserve it as you've put up with the ice, snow and cold and I live far enough South I don't get what you do (anymore... Thank you God!) LOL.

Be safe, have fun and enjoy!!!