summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

cabinet painting, the DIY nightmare...


After day#2 of painting, still smiling in spite of ouch...hunching over and painting hour after hour. Imagine what it would be like to do this every day all day for a living, I mentioned to some daughters. NO WAY no how, they say. We did take a trip to the small city this fine morning, Sonja K. and I. We had to buy the cabinet paint! Since I was too scared to buy the gray stuff and regret it, I decided to go with white. Alabaster, to be exact. It's a tad bit creamier than a stark white. I made a huge mistake in getting the satin finish, should have gone with the semi-gloss. I went to Sherwin Williams because I thought they would give good advice, but the guy said satin should be fine for cabinets, then I google it this evening and whoa, not so sure. It was pricey, but it was only one gallon of paint. The primer was $19 in Walmart, then this stuff, Emerald latex satin, was eighty something dollars a gallon, but they gave me the 40% discount even though it expired yesterday. First the one boy suggested I wait until Friday, it'll be on sale for 30% off....um, no. My kitchen is torn apart. We are all ready to paint...we have cleaned and de-greased and filled holes and sanded and primed.

So we got the paint, which came to $55. ouch.

We also went to the store and got food, because the kids are all on vacation...eggs and sliced turkey and M&M's...

So, the cabinet restoration: it has been going well, the girls are amazing. They have been working so hard without complaining. Their cousin Grace came over today and helped for a while (Davian and Anne's older sister).






It's a mess, but we do like the new color.

I was planning to spray paint the hinges and put the doors back on tomorrow, but now I am reading that they have to cure for longer. We have to go buy the spray paint, and the new knobs and drawer pulls. We figure that after all this work, we may as well get new ones.

Tired as can be, but here I am, staying up well past midnight. The girls are watching, "Letters from Iwo Jima". wah.
(I do love school vacation, three high school girls get to stay up late very night...:))

4 comments:

Carol said...

WoW! That was expensive paint! I just bought some for my grand doll's bedroom and it was $14 at Walmart. I figure I will redo it in a few years so no need to use a real expensive paint. I want to redo my kitchen as well and I have the stuff to do it with, but no time!

Carol said...

By the way, I love the color of your cabinet doors.

Marilyn said...

Hi Della............you are doing a great job! The colour is lovely..........I think maybe better than gray..........it will brighten up the kitchen. It’s great all the girls have helped too.

Marilyn from Canada

Joni said...

Nice color choice!