summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, April 20, 2018

when life throws a fast ball...(and good biopsy results!)

Now, I am very good at telling stories that aren't mine to tell. So bear with me as I figure out what to write here...

The other night, Margaret and Adrian were here with baby Wulf. And long story short, we had to head to the Emergency Room because Margaret was having some heavy duty abdominal pains, which she has had before, even during the pregnancy. She did go to the E.R. once during pregnancy for this pain, and it was assumed it was caused by the pregnancy. Anyway, Kathryn and I drove up behind them, to help Adrian with the baby.

After some poking, prodding, a few scans and some bloodwork, it was determined that Margaret was to be admitted, and that her gallbladder would have to come out. With the pancreas inflamed, she would have to wait a bit. She ended up having the surgery last night, Evelyn and I went up to visit, and to hold baby so Adrian could get a little bit of sleep. Wulf is only four weeks old today, and sleeps in little naps, still. And, he doesn't drink formula, although now he has to for a bit. It's not easy, to have a newborn together during a painful experience, but Adrian is such a nice young man, such a good husband, and honestly, the hospital staff, both doctors and nurses, have been amazing about letting them have that baby with them through all of this.

We have their two dogs here at our house, and that hasn't been the most relaxing picnic. They are crate trained, so they slept fine last night, but oh the energy they have! They are just happy to be here, happy to play with Sunny, happy to jump all over Suri, Suri who doesn't pay them any mind at all. They go out on the deck and bark at the trees and the birds and the cars that go by. They come back in and play tag all over the kitchen and living room. :)

Anyway, Margaret should be feeling much much better soon, after she heals up.

The night she went in, I stayed with her until 5 a.m., so Adrian could go back home and take care of their dogs and get diapers and supplies, then I went home and slept for only a few hours. Anne was here, and the kids. I have a new respect for parents who don't get enough sleep...my son Samuel works nights and has baby Grant during the day, baby Grant who is four months old now, and doesn't sleep as much as he used to. I lost my share of sleep back in the day, and I thought I remembered how it felt to survive on two or three hours, but ouch, nope.

To live life tired, that's what it's like to be a parent. And to worry. It's part of the deal. Adrian was telling us about the worries that come to him, SIDS for example, and how he'll be glad when Wulf is older and has outgrown that threat, and I just laughed. Oh dear Adrian, don't you know that that concern will soon be replaced with lots of other ones? Even when Emily drives during a snowstorm, I am tempted to worry. And Emily is 33 years old.

Today we are rehoming our last kitten, which we hope is our last kitten ever. Our mama kitty is being spayed next week, and our orange guy is being neutered the week after. So today we are going out and about, picking Sonja up from school in an hour or so, to go with us. She has been sick with a wicked cold, she had a fever on and off for a few days. She insisted she was better enough for school today...

Well, I truly hope I didn't tell too much that's not mine to tell. I am a momma to sixteen kids, and even when they grow up, I have a strong inclination to comfort them and do what I can for them when they need it. My youngest is ten years old, but I still find myself busy enough. I am truly thankful that I don't actually "work", because there is plenty to do at home, still, and I treasure that I can spend time with the grandkids and be here with the younger kids who homeschool. If I ever complain about anything, please, remind me to shut up.

Here's another thing: I called the doctor's office about my biopsy, you know, that horrific affair which makes me tense and cringe just thinking about it...and the nurse said she had the results, but would talk to the dr. and call me back. Uh-oh. I thought when the receptionist connected me to the nurse, she would just tell me what the results were, which I had assumed were fine, because duh, the dr. thought things looked good when he did the procedure. But all of the sudden, I was more than concerned, and dread was trying to seep in. No, I said. No. I am not going to worry. But. BUT. If I get good results, I am going to be so good! I am going to use my life for good things! I am going to make my days worthwhile. I am not going to take TIME for granted!

Then the nurse called me back, and said everything looks good, the biopsy was benign, and that things that happened were just menopause related..."Welcome to the club!", she said.

Anyways, here I sit, with so much to do. I am such a last minuter, picking Sonja up at noon, and here I sit. bye.

8 comments:

terre said...

yay for good results!

Sunazz said...

Hope Margaret feels better soon. I'm so glad about your good results!!

Lisa said...

Awesome news on your test. Poor Margaret....as if giving birth a month ago wasn't enough trauma on her body!

Lisa said...

Awesome news on your test! Poor Margaret...as if giving birth a month ago wasn't enough trauma on her body - at least she's young and can hopefully bounce back from this quick!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic results! Best wishes to Margaret, bad timing, hope she recovers well.

Simone

Michelle said...

Glad your biopsy results were good news!

Marilyn said...

Hi Della..........poor Margaret.... I hope she is feeling better soon. Great news about your biopsy too. Great news.

Marilyn from Canada

Tereza said...

You've had some crazy days!! Glad your results are good and that your daughter will be well!