summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, February 17, 2019

here in Florida....



Today we'll go on to Grandma's place. It took a full 24 hours to get here, driving straight with just rest stops, and one three hour stretch to snooze. Paul did most of the driving, thankfully. My eyes just won't stay open! But oh, that's a long long time to be in the car, even if it IS a really nice car. We rented an 8 passenger Chevy Suburban, and of course it's brand new with all the bells and whistles. I am not complaining about our 2008 minivans, but...

We spent yesterday in the lazy river and hot tub here at the hotel. We went to Disney Springs, which is crowded and expensive, but also quite interesting. So much to look at!

Everyone else is still sleeping here in the hotel room. I got up super early and took a bath, a long, water-wasting bath, very hot and relaxing. The shower and tub are separate units, and the tub looked super clean.

I washed my tangly hair, got my jammies back on, and here I am!

Sunshine. It's good for the soul. Good for what ails you. And vacation is grand, especially with Paul. My last two years of coming down here have been without him, he had to work. So it's really nice to have him, and he's so much fun in vacation mode.

It's nice with the four girls, too. Suzanne, Sonja, Charlotte Claire, and Camille. Who ever would have thought we would go on vacay with only FOUR kids? Jonathan chose to stay back to hang out and enjoy winter with his friends. They have a snowmobile, and are always adventuring. Sitting by a pool, the long car ride...he was a bit torn about not seeing Grandma, but.

I am absolutely reveling in spending time with these four youngest girls. It's crazy how happy it makes me to see them enjoy things.

Here's my dilemma: it's 8:30, and we have to check out by 11:00. I want to go out and get some sunshine first, enjoy the lazy river a bit. So do I start crashing around and wake everyone up or let them sleep? Paul and I pretty much missed a whole night of sleep, these kids dozed between stops.

I slept like a baby last night until 1:45 when I must have stretched in my sleep, and dang it, leg cramp in the calf. The weird thing is when I got up to try to walk it off (I also took some ibuprofen, magnesium, potassium, and vitamin D, and drank a huge glass of water), the other calf started cramping too. Car ride? Dehydrated? It has happened before, but dang, both of them! If you've ever had a leg cramp up, you'll know what I mean when I say: agony. It sounds like such a mild wimpy occurrence, but OUCH!!!

I did get them to calm down, and fell back to sleep. The bed is comfy, shared with Miss Cam. Sonja K. and Char are in the other bed, Miss Suze in a nest on the floor on one side of the room, Paul on the other. (Paul likes to sleep on the floor. I know. It would be sheer torture for me.)

Anyway, I have much to be thankful for.

4 comments:

Carol said...

A complete room full! It sounds as though your trip is going to be a fun one and enjoy the time with your husband.

Anonymous said...

Ha! I read your blog a lot and feel like I know you guys. I wanted to say that Paul probably doesn't "really like" the floor. If he is a room on his own on a work related trip and has a choice between a bed and the floor, I am betting that he would sleep on a bed. That being said, it is very nice that he takes the floor. I am assuming that is one of his ways he shows love for you and your entire family, by putting your needs and wants above his own. Just want to say that, maybe you don't even notice because he does it so often, but from a married woman with children, and a husband that claims his space 1st, that is one very thoughtful man. Please make sure you thank you for his sacrifice.

Kristi

Lisa said...

Ahhhh....sunshine, how I miss thee! We have similar weather in MI (no lakefront effect where I am though) and the lack of sunshine has me depleted. I just realized I DO have another bottle of high quality Vitamin D in the cupboard so I've been popping those every day, but they're a poor substitute for the warmth on my face, the brightness of the day. Too many gray days here makes this mama want to go hibernate. I like the cozy days, but it can be cozy and sunny even if it's -10 degrees! Enjoy your break!

16 blessings'mom said...

Carol, our full room was for only one night, and it was quite fun. We are here with Grandma now, all spread out in her little house.
Kristi, you are absolutely right. He is a good man, and this trip is just what we needed. He is a keeper.

Lisa, oh I feel your pain. It's real, the NEED for sunshine.