summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, June 13, 2019

a rose among the thorns...

Or rather, a nice sunny day in the middle of a rainy-ish week.

That sundog! Davian was here yesterday, and in all of his seven year old wisdom, informed me that this phenomenon means a storm is coming. Ice crystals in the upper atmosphere, cirrus clouds...rain coming. And, today, cool and breezy, cloudy...and rain is coming.

I did manage to get some spray painting in yesterday. I have a collection of spray paint, by the way, from the dollar store. Nice, brand name stuff, like Valspar. I found a Little Tikes table and chairs at the thrift store the other day, for $6.99! It was splashed with paint, and was a bit dirty. (It said, "Pre-K", in marker, on the bottom of the table, so it was used in a school). With a little bit of scrubbing, removing some stickers, and my handy dandy white gloss spray paint, after a spray of Zinser 1-2-3 primer, it looked much better. I ran out of that paint, so I taped newspaper on the top of the table, and sprayed the legs light gray. Then the chairs, a nice blue color.



The grass did get a little bit paint-y.


But Paul mowed the lawn last night, so it looks fine.

Oh, I ran out of the white because I spray painted an old chair that was downstairs, one that was just used for things like standing on when you paint.

I should have taken a before pic. It was pretty bad. But a quick sanding, wiped it down with a damp cloth, and...it needs another coat, the bottom of the legs are not even painted. And I ran out. Oh well.

Am I the only one who wanders around wondering what I can paint?

The foyer needs like one more painting session, and I'll be able to put the switch plate back on the light switches...it was an old chrome-y brass thing, but with a little bit of, yep, black spray paint, it looks so cool. I just know if I put it up before we're finished, it'll get paint dripped on it.

Anyway. Yesterday we had Davian here and Anne, and it was gloriously beautiful out, and the day went by too fast. Kim came over for a visit, she rarely comes here any more because she moved away, to the suburbs, to take live with and take care of her parents. I have seen less than a dozen times in the last year and a half. It's sad. (she's Danielle's mom).
But it was nice to see her, and have coffee and talk for a bit.

Okay, weight loss: it ain't really happening. I have lost a few pounds in the last few weeks, but, so that's better than gaining...but I am trying intermittent fasting. But, with coffee with cream in the morning. I ate two meals yesterday within a 6 hour window, nothing in the evening. So that's what I'd like to do for most days, then have a day to switch it up, like eat a big brekky, then a lunch/dinner meal, then nothing in the evening. Most days I just skip breakfast and eat brunch. Low carb, no sugar, lots of water, good healthy food like meats and veggies, occasional fruit with a meal, like some blueberries. It's hard because that one voice in my brain that is singing, "Life is short! Summer is short! Just get an ice cream! It's SO good!".

2 comments:

Rose Sperlonga said...

I think the kids table came out nice, but I love the blue on the chairs! So cute. I walk around thinking I can paint things but damned if I do! lol You have a beautiful back yard, too. You must have a ton of land! I also noticed the little lights everywhere , around your deck and in your house. I'm a sucker for little twinkle lights, but the hubs is not. I don't even bother anymore! LOL He wins!

Have a great summer!

16 blessings'mom said...

Hi Rose. We have two and a half acres, which is plenty. I love the little lights, I am a solar light addict!!! I have them wrapped around the trunk of the maple tree in the front, and it looks so cool in the dark! We have no electric outlet outside on the deck, so all the lights are solar. I LOVE it out there at night! Paul doesn't appreciate the lights I stick in the yard, like the solar spotlight that shines on the deck steps...he takes them out when he's mowing, and tosses them aside...ugh. He doesn't object that we have them, he just doesn't care about them like I do.