summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, June 6, 2019

home from the hospital...

Well, here we are, home from the hospital with a nice quiet time to boot. The kids are doing schoolwork, and Sonja is sleeping on the couch. She is just worn out, it's a lot of work to get from that hospital bed in the small city to the couch out here in the country.

Evelyn Joy came to my rescue and stayed the night with her. But I got up nice and early and went back up there, bringing Charlotte Claire and Camille with me. The dr. was in the room when I arrived, and he asked if Char and Cam were sisters of Sonja. I said, "Yes, Sonja has ten sisters." The dr. looked surprised, confused...then one of the nurses said, "Wow, all girls, no boys?" Well, um, there are five of those too. I kind of love doing this, but I kind of hate it too, because all of the sudden I went from being just a normal mom to an anomaly. I grew horns. One of the nurses put her hands in the praying position and said that I had earned myself a spot in heaven (if only it was that easy, ha!). The dr. then said, "You have 15 kids?!" No, I said, 16, there's Sonja, too. It was actually quite funny. He is a very wise dr., and to see him so flummoxed...:). Then Evelyn walked back in from the restroom, he hadn't seen her yet, and he was like, wow, another sister!

The transfer from her bed to the wheelchair was difficult, she was shaking and in tears. No weight bearing on the left leg, and it's extremely painful for her to move it around, even if someone supports it as she gets seated. We didn't know how we were going to get her into the van, so Paul left work and came to the rescue. He got her settled in the back, lickety-split.

Paul is back to work, Evelyn is back to work, Joseph and Bethany came over so Joe could help get Sonja into the house, they've gone home so Joe can go back to work...and here I am in the quiet. The sun is shining, finally, the birds are singing, and I have no small children here. I have to go to pick up a prescription for Sonja, but am not going to leave until Suzanne gets home from school.

As for me, I'm trying to behave during all of this. It's easy when things get busy or stressful to make excuses and eat a donut, but oh no, I am not going to. I just made some eggs, bacon, broccoli. Sonja fell asleep before she ate hers.

Shh. I think I'm going to change into a tank top and go out and sit in the sun...never mind the things I SHOULD be doing...

2 comments:

Marilyn from Canada said...

Such a stressful time! Poor Sonja...........very painful. Hoping for a speedy recovery for her, but I’m sure it will be a lot of work for her. Big hugs.

Marilyn from Canada

Carol said...

Praying for dear Sonja! I am sure she will be feeling better soon. I hope you enjoyed your time outside.