summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, June 19, 2019

oh the days just fly...

...when you're trying to get things done, it feels like trying to run in deep water, expending all the energy but not getting anywhere. Sonja had a Regents exam yesterday, then a dr. appointment. So Suzanne, Charlotte Claire, Camille, and Anne were all with me to pick Sonja up at school. Sonja got her stitches removed, and the doc was absolutely amazed at her progress, she can bend that knee all the way! She's been cleared for physical therapy, so we'll be driving to the small city twice a week for the next four weeks.

A stop at Dunkin for cold brew, they have $2 mediums right now, and some donut holes for Miss Anne, who announced, "I'm hungry, I'm hungry", as soon as I pulled in.

We then went to the craft store so Suzanne could get more yarn. I did get a few things too, of course I did. Then Lowe's for a new stairway railing, and the little brass thingies that hold it up, and a stud finder so we can hang that heavy thrift store mirror in the foyer. I felt like a real do-it-yourself-er walking through the store with that railing. Okay, Paul will cut it for me...and probably install it for me. But I'm going to paint it! And those brass thingies, yes, they will be spray painted black.

Then to Walmart, for half and half, and a pair of shorts for moi. I had a nice comfy pair that I wore, shh, every day, around the house. Then I forgot to change into my painting clothes one night when we were finishing up the foyer, and dang it, they were covered. They were huge and baggy and sloppy anyway, but now, ugh. So I bought the same ones in a smaller size (yay me!), where else can you get a pair of shorts for under seven dollars? We also got some shredded cheddar cheese and a few boxes of elbow macaroni, because the girls decided to make Mac and cheese for dinner.

Then...home...

Time to start dinner. A whole stick of butter, melted, dump in some flour, remove from heat...add some milk, cook until thickened, dump in some cheese...boil that pasta, and for me, microwave some cauliflower florets until just thawed...we had one 13x9 pan made with pasta, and one made with cauliflower. We also had bacon, the nice stuff from Aldi, peppered bacon.

So I started a new thing...for a while now I've been eating only two meals a day, trying like heck to find the thing that will start weight loss again for me. Then I read a bunch of stuff, and decided to do this more religiously, with absolutely no snacking in between, and nothing in the evening. So I eat breakfast/lunch around noon, then dinner whenever dinner time is, and nothing after. Low carb, lots of veggies, eggs, meat, etc., and of course my coffee and maybe an herbal tea in the evening. I've lost a few pounds, and feel okay. The point is to get that insulin to go right down between eating meals, and to burn some fat. My poor metabolism is so shot, I'm hoping this plan works. If and when I do something about my knees, I would like to be a bit lighter first. Seeing Sonja use her good leg like such a pro, pivoting herself around and using the crutches so easily, I just couldn't do that. So I have a goal, ha.

So we've been working to get things done around here, but there are dogs and children, so maintenance alone, plus watching little Anne every day, keeps me busy. I need to wash the couch covers before Saturday, but not yet, because, dogs. The same with mopping the floors, I swept today and mopped the other day, but it'll have to be done Saturday. Mowing the lawn, making the cuppy-cakes, preparing the food...I do have a list, but still have to buy everything. (We are having Suzanne's graduation party on Saturday). Only like 70 people are invited, :).

Pulled pork, bbq chicken breast, hot dogs and coneys...pasta salad. Mirielle's making homemade Mac and cheese, and bringing cut up fruit. We'll have some chips and dips, and maybe celery and carrots. I need plates and forks and drinks, and ice, and to wash the coolers.

Tomorrow night is Anya's kindergarten graduation, and rehearsal for Suzanne, Suzanne's graduation ceremony is Friday night. So when does a girl go shopping? (Tonight is activity club for a few of the kids...maybe I can get them a ride, or Paul can bring them...).

Never a dull moment, but I am truly not complaining. One of the benefits of getting to live 'til middle age is that you know, from experience, that things WILL get done. Or if they don't, you'll live. But also, there are fewer helpers around here than in previous years for previous parties. I am pretty good at managing, at giving orders and directions, but when it's just me bumbling around, it takes forever and a day to get things accomplished.

Anne will be here soon, and it's a nice day out. Our pool is almost clean, but someone needs to get in and scoop out those leaves in the middle. Our weather has been cooler than normal, and so rainy. But warm weather will come, and we will want to swim.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Where’s little Lydia been? I haven’t seen her lately. I love your blog.

Marilyn from Canada said...

Hi Della! You are probably flying around the house like a chicken with it’s head cut off getting ready for tonight! Remember to have FUN!! Post some pictures 😊

Marilyn from Canada