summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

good news!!!

Today, I went to the dermatologist. I had a sore itchy spot on my back. I realized about a month ago that I had been struggling to scratch it here and there for a long time, so I had one of the kids take a pic of it, and oh no, it was certainly skin cancer, according to my Jump To Conclusions Map. I also have a black spot on my lip, and a few questionable patches on my face that I have been meaning to get checked out. So, it was time to go in. I had cryosurgery on a few pre-cancerous patches a few years back, and was pretty sure they had returned, and yes, they had. I had a new one on my cheek, one on my chest too. So I got a few sprays of liquid nitrogen, ouchie, but it's not too bad. The thing on my back, TMI, was nothing, nothing but a blocked pore, backed up and sore, itchy and irritated. The dr. worked on that a bit, got it cleaned out and cleaned up, it wasn't pleasant.

But overall, I'm pleased with the visit. I don't have to go back for a year, and I have to remember to apply sunscreen. I had been actually contemplating going tanning a few times before I get this milky white skin out into the tropical Hawaiian sun, but now, nope.

Going to the doctor all by myself, then to the store, then a leisurely sunny drive home, yup, nice.

I'm glad I had to opportunity to stop at the store, we needed dog food, and I got bananas and burger and yogurts for the girls' lunches. It's supposed to snow tomorrow, and me no like driving in it.

My water aerobics class is sort of on hiatus for the next few weeks as the instructor is going on a cruise to Antartica. I thought the other ladies were still going to go, but no one did. Sonja had to get some gym hours for school, so she went, along with Miss Char and Miss Cam. Davian was there at the pool with his dad, so we played Marco Polo with him, and swam around and talked. I didn't get as good a workout as usual, but it wasn't bad.

Dinner: a bowl of leftover beef stew for me. I ate mostly the meat and wasted the potatoes and carrots, too many, too carby. I also had some homemade almond/flaxseed bread with butter and some peanut butter, then a second piece with butter melted in the microwave, and a small bit of strawberry jam. Oh yum. I also had a nice hot cup of decaf coffee, because I get so chilled from the pool. The girls put a frozen pizza in the oven, and had some carrots and celery sticks. Paul ate earlier (ham and cheese), and went to cleaning the church and band /music practice.

Anne came over today after I got home from my appointment. She made a nice bed for Suri. I love the look on Suri's face:


Anne played dollhouse, play dough, colored with markers, read stories, had eggs and toast, and a snack (pretzels, blueberries, and a cookie). She played with the cat, who thinks the baby pram is his new bed, and she bugged the dogs. She loves the dogs, they tolerate her. :)

I am hoping we get a snow day tomorrow, but I don't think we will. It'll be snowy and icy, maybe freezing rain after the first few inches of snow. I miss the days with my girls home with me.

I changed the living room furniture around the other day. The couches had to be pulled away from the walls and cleaned under, and well, why not change things up a bit? As Jonathan said, it's not like it's permanent, we can always move it back if we don't like it.

We also downsized the toys a bit more. It doesn't make sense to have so many toys anymore, but the grand kids (and Anne!) still play with it all.

Ah well. The days go by too fast, and morning always comes too early. My bed is far to comfy, and ugh, I don't like getting out of it.

But guess what? I LOVE getting INTO it!!!








4 comments:

Patti said...

Hi, and a huge thank you for stopping by my blog, Writing to Remember, recently and for taking the time to leave me a comment.

You have a beautiful family! I always wanted at least 4 children (preferably 5), but God had other plans. I was only able to have 2. But, my fertility issues could have started BEFORE I had any children, so I am thankful for the 2 I have. And I look forward to becoming a grandma.

A cruise to Antarctica? Seriously? That sounds interesting!

Yes, sunscreen is essential, isn't it? Back in the day, we loaded ourselves with baby oil and laid out with tin foil all around us. And now, we realize how destructive that was, so we slather on the sunscreen.

Blessings,
Patti

Busy Bee Suz said...

I've had the nitrogen on my face before; it's not fun and you certainly don't look pretty afterwards. Ughhhh. The SUN is not our friend. *crossing fingers for a snow day for you!*

16 blessings'mom said...

Patti, I remember the foil tanning blankets and the baby oil! A bit of Sun In for the hair, too. I absolutely love the sun, but only if I'm dressed in minimal clothes and am near a pool or lake or ocean. Fully dressed, keep me in the shade or air conditioning.
Suz, my face has a few huge blisters, ugh. I want the sun to be my friend! I love that feeling of roasting in the sun, love the sun kissed glow, but ugh, I know. It's not good. I am also hoping for a snow day tomorrow!!!! The kids are playing the game Settlers of Catan for the first time, it'd be a good time to get a day off from school, they'll have a blast.

Marilyn said...

Hi Della........I’m glad your sun spots are just those nuisance things....I’ve also had the shotS of nitrogen at the skin doctors office....ouch, Yes, we blissfully baked away with the baby oil etc. I grew up in sunny, hot Australia in the 40’s, 50’s and 60’s......where everyone I know from my generation has had things either burnt off or cut out and I have friend who passed away about 3 weeks ago from a melanoma she had removed 8 years ago. The reason these Melanoma.....the worst type of skin cancer.... are so deadly is cells lurk in your body and show up years later in your organs. It’s imperative for fair skinned people like me to take extreme caution in the sun. I’ve never had a melanoma thank goodness. My skin doctor told me those sun beds are worse than the sun!! 😬😬 I think we’ve all had a go in one of those 😬😬 We can still be in the sun, but be sensible my doctor said. I wear a wide brimmed hat! I love that picture of Suri!! She is lovely. I hope the little girls got a snow day. In just over 3 weeks my hubby and I are flying off to Arizona for almost 6 weeks!! 🌡🌡🌡🌡When are you off to Hawaii?

Marilyn From Canada